[SOLVED] Raid Array - Sleep Mode

jrrdmchls

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
This might be a silly question. I have 1 SSD boot disk and an array of 4 disks in Raid 5 in my PC WD Reds. I've heard that its not good to power them up and down and to just let them run non stop. I've done this for the past 5 years with out losing a drive.

I am now looking to save some power and have my PC shutdown/sleep while I am sleeping and gone at work, but keep the array spinning.

Is there a way to have my PC sleep, yet keep the hard drives spinning?

The only way I can think to do this would be to have a secondary power supply that's always on and attach the array to the secondary PS.

Or is there a way in windows to do this via software?
I'm in Win10

Solution
Never tried it in that way but you can test: in Power Options>More Power Options>Change advanced power settings there's Hard disk>turn off hard drive after setting and you can set it to never, but that will affect your Disk 0 and RAID. There are third party apps that let you select drives to keep awake but when the PC goes to sleep such a program would be disabled, as are all other Win programs.

gmagdna

Prominent
Jul 16, 2018
Never tried it in that way but you can test: in Power Options>More Power Options>Change advanced power settings there's Hard disk>turn off hard drive after setting and you can set it to never, but that will affect your Disk 0 and RAID. There are third party apps that let you select drives to keep awake but when the PC goes to sleep such a program would be disabled, as are all other Win programs.

Solution

jrrdmchls

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010

I guess you get the best answer :) Nobody else wants to chime in. HAHA.