RAID assistance!! (help this noob please!!)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Siggy19

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009

I'm with you, but better online than not at all... you can set it up with your own encryption if you are just storing the data.

Realistically, how many people do backups at all, let alone storing the backups off-site ?

There's a fire and it's all gone. The online option is convenient and so may actually be used.

One of the most valuable lessons I have learned is that the best system in the world is useless if it isn't used. Convenience is a very underrated consideration !

I purchased a 16G flash drive. Anything that is important, I just back up onto there. It's not big enough for much more than documents. Games and such I can just reinstall, not a big deal. (knock on wood) I've never had any kind of disaster, such as a fire, that destroyed everything. I would say the chances are greater that some A'wipe, with too much time on their hands, will hack into or destroy your data online.

killmess

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006
I have raid 0 for years, I had not one problem yet. Just think about it, how many time did you loose the data of your hard disk? Zero? That's the reliability of today hard drives.
You want absolute speed? 1 velociraptor is enough.
Don't have much money? Raid 0.

Why do you want raid 0 speed?
_to boot the os faster? You're loosing your time, the speed difference is negligible, maybe 10% more speed.
_to load game faster? Yes, your games loads quite fast ... from double click on the desktop icon to the game menu, to load the levels faster the best option is having a very fast CPU, like 3Ghz or more. It doesn't matters the number of cores the cpu has only the speed of the cores, the gigaherz'. A raid 0 will not load game levels faster if you don't have quite the cpu.
_Defragmenting the hd is faster on raid, coping files from one side to another is also faster.

I hope this serves you. :)

PD: If you want to raid buy 2 new HDs of the same model, this way you get all the speed a raid can give. 2 different model HD will not give you all the speed.
If you're gonna raid, buy 2 disks, and use your old disks for backup of your important files. I had never backup a thing, if I burn out some data to dvd is to free disk space only. Bye, good luck!

absdraco

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
I have to say iv got some real good feedback from all of you guys so thanks alot!! honestly, its been great help to know all this!! =D

absdraco

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
Thanks dude, i want to sell the 250GB HDHD so ebaying that asap then buying a new one same capacity iv got currently and then will sort it....so may take a few days ...ill keep you informed ;)