Question RAID boot volume, how to setup hot swap bay

Jun 28, 2019
After a bit of finagling, I've managed to get Windows 10 installed on a hardware RAID 0 volume, striped across 2 SSDs. I'm running on an MSI A78M-E45 Mobo, I have a Large internal HDD for bulk storage, and an optical drive connected to two other SATA ports. I had to set the SATA controller to RAID mode, and the finagling involved setting to legacy ROM, building the array, setting back to UEFI mode before installing the OS (with the f6 drivers on a USB stick). Huge pain in the butt to figure out how to get it set up, but a lot of guessing and checking later I'm able to boot into Windows just fine.

The last two of my six SATA ports are hooked up to the dual bays of a 5.25" hot swap bay. With the mobo set to RAID mode, I cannot set these two SATA ports to hot plug, but if I set the mobo into AHCI, the OS will not boot (and the volume will not even be seen).

How can I set the hot swap bay connected SATA ports to be "hot plug" compatible while keeping the mobo SATA controller set to RAID mode?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 28, 2019
Hot swap capable SATA controller... Is this something I might find in a PCIe x1 form factor? This is the only slot left on my mobo. Although, I could free up my regular PCI slot if it were necessary.