Discussion RAID Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

halcyon

Splendid

Nice, I read about that card. If I may ask, how much did it set you [strike]back[/strike] ahead?

hoshicat

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011
I bought a 3 60GB drive configuration, still got room for an extra drive, perhaps for time machine, I get about 700MBs read, which is awesome, and boots flawlessly on my mac pro 5,1 :)

halcyon

Splendid

Sweet...yet expensive.

I also have a MP 5,1 but I'm not sure I'm ready to add another $1K+ to it.

hoshicat

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011
I spent slightly less, my configuration set me back around $780, you can also get cheaper configurations with 2 drives only and upgrade them later. You can bench also a 2 drive configuration if you want, if it's fast enough for you it would cost you even less and leave room for further improvement later.

halcyon

Splendid

Well, I currently have 2 OCZ 120GB Vertex 2 SSDs in software RAID and 2 WD V.Raptors in software RAID as well. I'm not sure the additional cost is justified unless performance increase is going to be super dramatic.

hoshicat

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011
You can use your OCZ drives as modules if you want, and add another 2 identical drives in order to build a bigger and more powerful array. Make sure that you also buy some couplers if you are using, such in your case, third party drives.

halcyon

Splendid

Yeah, I'd considered that, thanks.

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
In my experience, adding a RAID card to your MP tower will definitely deliver better performance than a software RAID, but you can also get hardware RAID performance for less $$$ with a quality external setup.

hoshicat

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011

I have bills to pay and I don't have money for a full setup. What I like about it is that I can buy it a chunk at a time and save some cash for more important things, such as eating or paying the rent. Not us all are millionaires, uh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS