RAID Driver - installing Windows 7 with Asus Crosshair IV motherboard

Froskoy

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
Hi,

I'm having real problems trying to install Windows 7 with RAID 1 on my new build. Asus Crosshair IV motherboard with AMD Phenom II processor. I am using the RAID controller on the motherboard and have configured the BIOS and RAID controller exactly as shown in the motherboard manual. I am confident that the BIOS and RAID controller configuration is correct.

When I get to the stage in Windows 7 installation where it gives you the option to load drivers, none of the drivers supplied on the disk that comes with the motherboard work. I cannot find anywhere on the Asus site to download newer drivers.

I Googled and someone here seemed to be having similar problems:
http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=261&threadid=133035

The Gigabyte driver seems to work fine for them. However, I cannot find a driver on the Gigabyte site. Could someone please help me find this - I don't really know what I am looking for.

What type of file will the driver be?

Please help! I really want to get my new computer working.

Many thanks,

Froskoy

mgrzTX

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010

I'm assuming that since your writing this you have another Computer to work with that will burn a CD or put files onto a flash drive.

1st, if you purchased your own Motherboard that has the CD w/ drivers that came w/ the Motherboard that's the first and easiest place to look.

If not.

Go to this Link to download the drivers

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?p_id=kpgmtxee5rsqvsxg

Go to downloads,

click on Utilities and go down to the 5th from the bottom, that has all of the AHCI and RAID drivers and download the file.

Once you've downloaded the file extract it and run "ASMakeDisk". Once you run that it should be pretty straight forward, select the RAID drivers, put them on a CD or flash drive. Install windows, then put said CD or flash drive into computer when Windows install prompts you too and you should be set.

Hopefully this helps.

Froskoy

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
Hi,

Thanks very much for your reply. It's really appreciated.

Yes, I do have an old laptop to burn CDs or put files onto a flash disk.

None of the drivers that are on the motherboard CD work - whatever I do I still see two drives, each with 931.5GB allocated space. I want to only see one drive, so that the two drives are allocated in RAID1.

I've now gone to the page you link to and downloaded the drivers you specify. I ran the ASMakeDisk program and now when I get to the load driver page on the Windows 7 installation I get 11 different options (9 JMicron JMB36X Controllers and 2 JMicron JMB37X Controllers). None of them work - I still see the two drives.

What can I do to fix this? I really want to get it working! Maybe I should try the Gigabyte drivers - would this work - I'm not sure which to get?

Many thanks again for your help so far,

Froskoy.

mgrzTX

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
Now I'm slightly confused.

You're BIOS options are set to RAID, but have you actually configured the RAID array yet?

To do this you'll have to restart the computer and enter the RAID utility. My computer requests that I press ctrl+I, yours may be different but there will be a screen prompting you to press certain buttons to enter the RAID utility. Then you have to put both hard drives in a RAID array.

After that try installing Windows w/ the ASUS website drivers again. I'm assuming that since you can't install Windows yet when you say you still see 2 separate drives that means in BIOS or startup.

Hope this helps again!

Froskoy

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
Hi,

Yes, mine requested that I pressed cntrl+F, and I had configured it before making the initial post, but none of the drivers work.

In the Windows 7 installation, the only way you see any drivers at all is when you uncheck the box that says 'Only show drivers which are compatible with the hardware on this computer' or something. So I'm wondering whether I've still not got the correct drivers, although I followed your exact instructions.

Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Froskoy.

Froskoy

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
Hi,

I've now solved the problem. I eventually found a driver on the install disk that would work.

Thanks so much for all your help - it really got me to persevere so I am really grateful indeed.

However I now have another problem (have posted a new thread).

Many thanks again,

Froskoy.

brandonheyman

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2010
How did you solve your problem? I am having the exact same problem with a different motherboard (ASUS M4A87TD EVO).

Thanks a ton in advance! I have been trying to solve this for about a week!

Froskoy

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
Hi,

Double check that you haven't reset the BIOS at all. The settings need to be on RAID, resetting the bios will also reset the raid settings.

Also, go onto the Asus site and download the latest drivers - create a USB driver disk from them instead of the ones on the disk and see if that works (the online ones will be more up to date).

Let us know how you get on and we'll see if we can help more.

Froskoy.

DawGGG

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010
froskoy, i have the same problem with the same motherboard.
raid 0 is fine but dont have any drives in the list when i want to install my OS.

what driver did u use get it to work?
when i load the 32-bit drivers i can see the drives, but cant install because i have a 64bit OS.

i downloaded the lastest drivers from the asus site but that doesnt work.

this is the error i get when i load the 64 bit raid driver:

to continue installation, use the Load Driver option to install 32bit and signed 64bit drivers. installing an unsigned 64bit device driver is not supported and might result in an unusable windows installation.

i'm pretty sure u have seen this error before.
help me plz, i want to get my new rig to work!!!

specs:

asus crosshair iv
amd phenom ii x6 1090t
corsair 4gb ddr3-1600
asus eah 5870
2*intel 80gb ssd
2*samsung 750gb hdd

cisco kid

Distinguished
May 3, 2009

this was simple to do, get the sb8xx raid driver at amd and you are good to go

incurablegeek

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
Hey Cisco Kid,

get the sb8xx raid driver at amd and you are good to go

This looks to be the most (potentially) helpful suggestion that I have found so far. Briefly, I have pretty much the same configuration: Asus CH4, AMD 1090t, Corsair 16 Gig, and 2 Intel X25-M SSD's which I want to set up as RAID 0.

I had such a witch of a time with this ages ago that I actually gave up and followed the Win7 Ultimate 64 bit "default" and installed my OS on only one of the two SSD's. Thinking I could create a kind of pseuo RAID 0 by installing many of the programs on the 2nd SSD, I ended up with still a fully loaded SSD and the 2nd SSD virtually empty.

Ugh, so I'm back at ground zero so to speak. With your suggestion, should I:

1) First install Win7 64 bit on only one of my two SSD's??

2) Then use the downloaded AMD RAID driver to create a hardware RAID "after the fact"??

Doesn't seem logical but then I'm pretty much open to magic and witchcraft at the moment.

The benefit of your wisdom, kind sir ...