raid driver not working on windows 7 for GA-MA790FX-DS5

boonpflug

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
So I am trying to set up a raid 0 not for windows itself, but for data only. I connected all raid drives to the south bridge (SataII0/1/2/3, orange), while keeping the system ssd (and dvddrive) on the 2 GsataII_1 and 2 slots (purple).I set up my bios by setting sata mode to raid and I used the biossetup (fastbuild ATI) to set up the raid and according to the bios it works fine. Now when i boot windows however, even with the drivers provided by the website i am unable to find the raid. Not even the seagate drivedetect finds anything (at the moment i started with only two drives, one st3000dm001-9yn166 and one st3000dm001-1ch166). When i switch to sata AHCI in bios they show up normally. the "gigabyte raid configurer" for windows 7 gives me "GBB36x Raiddevice not found" and the device manager sees a raid controller, but without any driver and windows is unable to install it by itself.

i cannot find the utility cd of my mainboard and have no floppy, but from what i understand i only need them if i want to install windows on the raid, right? any idea what i may be missing to install the gigabyte drivers?

i tried to use
Chipset Driver (include sata raid driver) V3.2.1540.5
and
GIGABYTE SATA2 RAID Driver 1.17.50.2 3.90 MB 2009/09/29

The others require a floppy and i dont even know yet if i need them:

ATi SATA2 RAID Driver (Preinstall driver, press F6 during Windows* setup to read from floppy) 3.2.1540.17

GIGABYTE SATA2 Preinstall driver (For AHCI / RAID Mode)
Note: Press F6 during Windows* setup to read from floppy. 1.17.50.2

thanks in advance!
-boonie

boonpflug

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013

I could, but so far i have no reason to believe it will solve the problem and would be quite some work to configure everything. I would like to avoid that. Since windows will not run on the raid i do not really see the benefit of reinstalling it.

boonpflug

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013

if you say that will help ...
but how can i do it without a floppy or motherboard cd?

boonpflug

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
Ok i found the problem. I tried to re-install windows like you said. When loading the drivers windows claimed either, that they were not compatible to my hardware, or in some cases tried to install them without success. So i went back to the gigabyte homepage, downloaded the other two driver sets and told windows in the device manager to install the drivers in the foldersi specified. By using the

ATi SATA2 RAID Driver (Preinstall driver, press F6 during Windows* setup to read from floppy) 3.2.1540.17

drivers, everything started working all of a sudden. didnt even need to reinstall windows. So the problem was, that the neccessary driver for the south bride is for some reason not inluded in the

Chipset Driver (include sata raid driver) V3.2.1540.5

package.

but thank you anyway alexoiu!

boonpflug

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
Btw: Gigabyte finally answered me: "you cannot use drives > 2TB on this mainboard, please buy drives <2TB". I would be really frustrated now if I didn't already get it to run.