Question Raid drivers possible cause of upgrade problem?

jjgurley

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2015
There really doesn't seem to be a correct forum for this question, but here goes:

I've got a Supermicro X9DR3-F motherboard (which is EOL, so no support from SM) running Windows Server 2008 R2 with Raid1 and Raid10 arrays. I need to upgrade to Server 2012 R2 , but have had no luck with an "in place" upgrade. It hums along until the second reboot, then restores the original with "sorry". I've replaced my raid array with spares and successfully done a fresh install, so I'm pretty sure the MB isn't the issue.

The setuperr.log file shows a repeating sequence of four files that are having problems, each reporting two errors each time:

Plugin {0b23c863-4410-4153-8733-a60c9b1990fb}: LoadLibraryEx error (E:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\ReplacementManifests\Microsoft-Windows-TextServicesFramework-Migration\IMJPMIG.DLL) gle=126
Plugin {0b23c863-4410-4153-8733-a60c9b1990fb}: LoadLibrary error (C:\Windows\system32\IMJPMIG.DLL) gle=0

These two lines repeat for four different DLL files (IMJPMIG.DLL,IMKRMIG.DLL,CHXMIG.DLL, TableTextServiceMig.dll), then the group of eight repeats several dozen times. Finally, the last entry is:

Plugin {ee036dc0-f9b7-4d2d-bb94-3dd3102c5804}: BRIDGEMIG: CBrgUnattend::CollectBridgeSettings failed: 0x1, 0

My 2008R2 raid driver is labeled xxWin7xx, which is the base the 2008R2 is apparently built. The clean install required Win8 drivers before it would even start. I haven't tried to install the Win8 drivers under 2008R2, since "driver updates" doesn't approve, although I might be able to override the refusal. Not sure if that might crash my current system, although I do have bare metal backups. I've read that the correct driver is built into 2012R2, so it's probably not the issue.

Microsoft hasn't been any help after three weeks of "looking at it".

The only other odd thing about my system is that the D: drive is disk0 while the C: drive is disk1, for historical reasons.

Any suggestions would be appreciated..

jjgurley

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2015
Sorry, but email notifications don't seem to work for me.

First, I don't want to do a clean install because I will lose my reference when re-populating all the roles, many of which evolved over many years. The migration tools offered by MS all require a donor and donee setup to move details. I'm not an IT expert, just a retired hardware guy who is the spouse of a doctor trying to run a solo rural practice. There is zero local IT expertise and all the remote consultants want two running systems to perform a migration.

Second, it's a C600 motherboard, and the drivers for 2008R2 are of course, installed (they are Win7 based). There are newer Win8 drivers but the driver update says it prefers what's already installed. Forcing an update worries me that I'll be doing a bare metal restore the moment I push the button. I'm not sure a driver problem would cause just a few files to be a problem. Also, my Group Policies are straight default except a few password policies (length, expiration), and the specific right involved in the referenced post is not present.

jjgurley

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2015
I have spare drives and a daily bare metal backup, in addition to more regular SQL backups. Motherboard failures are the uncovered event. Our use is a solo doctor's office, and downtime is bad, but not world ending, since there is still paper.