RAID formatting problem

G

I have built the following system: Gigabyte GA-7DXR motherboard, Win 2K, 512 MB PC2100 RAM, 1 IBM 60GXP 40 GB HD as C:, 2 IBM 60GXP 40 GB HD in RAID 0 as D:. Win 2k sees D: as an 80 GB drive, but when I try to format D: I always get an error message about "unable to complete format". Any ideas for me to try?

Thanks for your help.

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
What filesystem are you trying to use? If it's Fat32 you have a <A HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q184/0/06.ASP" target="_new"> limitation </A> and that is what could be causing the problem ...

<font color=red>"Can you deal with that!"</font color=red>

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
erm

The page cannot be found
The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

!!

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Man that's weird! The Document isn't there anymore. Try the link now. It's under a different doc now and I found it and fixed the link ...

Sorry ...

G

Thanks for the link. That explains why the only formatting option I had for C: was NTFS. I've tried both FAT32 and NTFS on the RAID D:. Now I know I have to use NTFS. When I tried it before the formatting progress bar gets to 100% and then I get the error message about being unable to complete the formatting. I'll try it again tonight.

Thank you.

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
Man that's weird! The Document isn't there anymore
hehe we nave to remember whos site it is, maybe that will explain why it has problems, It probably needs the "dissapearing web page" patch :)

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Yeah you have that right!! I couldn't believe that cause I have the whole URL and everything in an Email.

Oh well, Microsoft never seems to amaze me!

FatBurger

Illustrious
Nah, the "Disappearing Webpage" patch was included in Service Pack 318. That shouldn't be needed. Maybe they need to apply the "Increase Intelligence" patch, although it's still in beta.

<font color=blue>Quarter pounder inside</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Change the Sig of the Week!!!</font color=red>