RAID, IDE or AHCI for my setup?

Tomascari

Honorable
Sep 20, 2014
I have just replaced my 2 old HDDs (500GB each) with a new WD 2TB drive. The old drives were in RAID and Windows was therefore preinstalled (by the manufacturer) in RAID mode. I simply cloned the data onto the new drive but have suffered severe performance losses and after going through several tests etc, there appears to be no problem with the drive. The manufacturer suggest that I reinstall Windows for AHCI or IDE onto the new drive.
However, I have also ordered an SSD which is due to arrive shortly and was wondering whether this will still be necessary if I just want to install Windows onto the SSD.
So basically, shall I just install Windows onto the SSD, or reinstall it onto the HDD first? Also, would AHCI or IDE be more preferable for my setup? And, how do I change it from RAID, is it just an option on the install?
And finally, is there a way to restore all settings (like desktop stuff) onto a new install of Windows?
Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks, Tom.

Solution
AHCI is better than IDE. Just make sure when or if you reinstall windows it's on AHCI in the BIOS first. And it should be fine if youre going to use Vista, Win7 or 8 if AHCI is enabled