DevilDog762

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2002
I just bought 2 MAXTOR 40gb 7200rpm ATA/133 hard drives to take advantage of my onboard RAID. I have setup the RAID BIOS, and both hard drives are recognized. I attmepted to install Windows2000, but the program can not find my hard drives! Now I have a couple of questions:

1.Can the RAID array run as the master drive?
2.If I am running Windows2000 on a slower hard drive, will it slow down my RAID drive?
3.Can I connect two hard drives for RAID on a single ribbon cable, or is it better to have them on seperate cables as I have now?

1. Doesn't matter. Once the array is configured and recognised by the BIOS, it's fine.

2. Always run your OS from the fastest drive or array if possible.

3. Mine are on one cable to allow for expansion withut interference. Theoretically seperate cables is faster, but I've never tested this.

When you boot up W2K with floppy??, you should get a prompt to install your RAID drivers with floppy disk. You need to copy the correct driver from the mobo CD-ROM to a floppy to do this.

"Press F6 to intall any 3rd party etc etc."

Getting the idea?

<b><font color=blue>~ What do you mean "It isn't working!"...Now where's my sonic screwdriver? ~ </font color=blue></b>

DevilDog762

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2002
Lemme test that out and I'll get back to you. Thanks for the info. But if I'm not back in two days...I probably killed my computer.

87% of statistics are made up on the spot.

TRENDING THREADS