Question RAID migration query to new motherboard

Apr 30, 2019
Hello All,

My first post here, I'm hoping to get a better understanding of an issue that I have been faced with.

I had a 4x 4TB WD Red drive array running in RAID5 on a ASRock Rack C2750D4I mobo, unfortunately for me the board died and I now need to purchase a replacement, hoping that I can restore the array back to it's original state? BUT, I will be staying away from ASRock in the future and possibly going for an Asus or MSI Mini ITX board.

According to ASRock, the RAID specification of my dead board is.
Onboard SATA/RAID (Intel Avoton Chipset)2 x SATA 6 Gbps (Chipset), RAID 0/1/5/10
4 x SATA 3 Gbps (Chipset), RAID 0/1/5/10
2 x SATA 6 Gbps (Marvell SE9172), RAID 0/1
4 x SATA 6 Gbps (Marvell SE9230), RAID 0/1

I gather from the above that I was running a software RAID setup, rather than "true" RAID?

If I was to purchase a newer Intel chipset board that supports RAID5, in theory would I be able to connect up my disks and access everything as previously?

If I have missed anything, please do let me know and many thanks for reading my post.

Thanks,

Lee

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Why do you say that? Did you set up the array in the OS or in the RAID menu before the OS?

I've had decent luck moving Intel RAID arrays between other Intel RAID capable computers, but I've yet to attempt an actual software RAID transfer. (Actually on my list of things to do, I do have one software mirror on my HTPC, needs to be moved to a larger array)