RAID... Robocopy... or...?

ca4014

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017
Hi everyone.

I'm about to build my first PC (with help!)

Thinking about using two 1Tb HDD's for data storage (mostly images, for Photoshop) and configuring them in RAID 1. The plan is to 'short stroke' them; the fast partition will serve as short - medium term storage and the remaining disk space will be longer term storage. I have two 500Gb USB drives which will serve as the actual backups, and/ or DVD's.

Now, I ought to get to the question. I originally planned on using WD Green HDD's because I thought they'd be quiet, until I read that they'd probably make a poor choice for RAID. I'm now thinking of WD Blue 5400 rpm instead.

Then I heard of Robocopy and wondered if it, or some other software would be a better option and stick with the Green HDD's.

I know RAID isn't a backup; it's to ensure data availability. I think RAID would be a good option for me because in the past I've not been the best at backing up and as a result I've lost photos which can never be replaced.

But at the same time, wouldn't it serve as an up-to-the-minute backup, in the event of a single drive failure, whereas my external drive backups will probably be weekly at best?

So, do you think this will be a good backup strategy, overall? I also considered a Blue for use and a Green for backup but tbh I think RAID sounds more convenient.

So can you guys offer any advice regarding drive model or models, or RAID (or not)?

Thanks.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
3-2-1 rules are generally best. 3 Backups, 2 types, 1 offsite backup.

Mirrors aren't considered true backups, because if you accidentally delete a file, it is erased from both drives. Or if the system melts down you lose both drives anyway. It will protect you from a single drive failure though.

There are many backup tools out there now. Robocopy is pretty simplistic, but can automate overnight jobs and the like quite easily.

A USB external drive attached to another computer or your router is better than having it plugged into the PC itself. Again that whole lightning strike, meltdown, gamma ray burst problem comes into effect.

Green drives are fine for bulk storage, they are what I use typically. Blue drives are basically Black drives without the warranty, so offer good performance, which is probably what you need. Assuming a large SSD is out of the question.

ca4014

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017
Thanks for replying guys. I'll have a 240Gb SSD for OS/ apps/ immediate use/ scratch drive, in addition to the 'medium/ long-term' storage drives, but a large SSD is out of the question.

The external USB drives are portable ones and wouldn't be left hooked up; one would be stored at a friend's house.

I like the way you summed it up, the 3-2-1 rule. So if I use a RAID or software plus an external drive then I'll have 3 copies, DVD's give me 2 methods, and one will be offsite. Job done.

And I don't have a router! I'm not a massive Internet user; I tether off my mobile. Options, I think, are 2 x Blue in RAID, or 2 x Green or one of each using software backup, plus 2 x external drives and DVD's. Anyone got strong opinions one way or another?