[SOLVED] RAID setup using Sata SSD and m.2 SSD

Nov 30, 2019
I recently got a Lenovo L560 which i swapped the internal HDD to a cheap ADATA SU650 , the performance is okay but i wanna add another M.2 SSD in the WWAN port , i know by experience that it'll work but can i run both the 2.5" Sata SSD and M.2 SSD as RAID ? i don't know a thing about RAID setups other than the storage nonsense but i'm more concerned about whether it's gonna work or not

Solution
  1. What RAID level? 0, 1, something else?
  2. Why RAID (of any type)?
  3. The drives would need to be identical capacity.
  4. If the new drive is of the NVMe type, you'd be crippling its speed to that of the ADATA SATA speed.
  5. See #2.
  6. RAID 0 with SSD's brings zero user facing benefit.

Unless there is a specific need, RAID is rarely a good idea in the consumer space.
RAID 0 is overhyped as a performance booster, and RAID 1 is mostly useless as a backup solution.

USAFRet

Titan
  4. If the new drive is of the NVMe type, you'd be crippling its speed to that of the ADATA SATA speed.
  5. See #2.

Unless there is a specific need, RAID is rarely a good idea in the consumer space.
RAID 0 is overhyped as a performance booster, and RAID 1 is mostly useless as a backup solution.

Reactions: ZAiBA
Solution
Nov 30, 2019
  5. See #2.
Thanks for the explanation , really helped my next decision