Question RAID supported NVMe storage for personal data backup ?

sam781

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2013
Is there any such storage (NAS) system available having RAID support that uses M.2 NVMe drive instead of legacy hard drives? I have a NAS enclosure that supports 2 3.5" HDD with RAID0 and RAID1. As M.2 storage is getting popular for its performance, it would be a lightweight good backup solution for home use.

RealBeast

Titan
Is there any such storage (NAS) system available having RAID support that uses M.2 NVMe drive instead of legacy hard drives? I have a NAS enclosure that supports 2 3.5" HDD with RAID0 and RAID1. As M.2 storage is getting popular for its performance, it would be a lightweight good backup solution for home use.
No, and it is unlikely that there will be any. It is too expensive to compete with either spinning rust or a large capacity 2.5" SSD (now up to 8TB). There would be no real point as RAID 0 provides no real world improvement for NVMe drives, just large sequential transfer numbers in benchmarks.

faalin

Judicious
Unless you have a lot of money to spend NVMe for a NAS is not worth it. To get the most out of the speed they provide you would need to upgrade your network to a 10GB system, and guessing you cant upgrade your NAS card.

A standard 1GB network maxes out at 125MB/s transfer speed.
A Raid 0 will not benefit from an speed increase, it will maximize the storage space but if you lose a drive you loose all your data.
Raid 1 will mirror the drives so if one drive fails you still have your data. But this does not protect against deleted files, virus, or corruption as what happens to 1 drive happens to the other drive at the same time.

I just put in 3 Seagate IronWolf 8TB NAS drives in a raid 5, netting 14.5TB of space. Across a 1GB network i was topping out at around 100-107MB/s backing up a 4.5TB steam folder, in a perfect world 125MB/s would be the max on the network and the drives could sustain 212MB/s which is well over what the network could provide.

On a side note 3 IronWolf 8TB drives cost less then a single Samsung 870 QVO 8TB 2.5" drive

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
In my QNAP, I have 3x 8TB SATA HDD in one volume, and 1x 480 SATA III SSD in its own volume.
SSD faster than HDD, right?

Reading/Writing from any PC in the house, to either of those volumes...is exactly the same performance. The gigabit LAN is the slow device in this exchange.

I could easily swap in 3 or 4 SATA III SSD, in a RAID 0. Would make exactly zero difference in throughput to the rest of the house systems.
A further upgrade to 4x NVMe in RAID 0 would also make zero difference.

And a 2 hour movie still takes 2 hours watch, no matter what type drive it sits on.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS