RAID + Windows 2000 Professional

G

Can anyone help me with this problem?

I have an ABIT KT7-RAID motherboard with 2 x IBM ATA-100 20gig 7200rpm hard disks in RAID 0 configuration. The RAID chip used on this board is the HPT370.

Before I explain the main problem I will say that I messed with Partition Magic 6 while on Windows 98 to try and make a partition for Windows 2000. That utterly failed. When using the wizard (for those of you familiar with PQ Partition Magic 6) it only allowed me create a maximum partition size of about 180MB. Anyway I accepted these values and had to reboot to let it finish the changes. It finished two out of the three processes (can't remember the error it gave me, but it said something about not having enough memory - I have 128MB installed) and then came back into Windows, but it did not appear as an active partition and there were no options to make it active. I resized my RAID drive to get rid of the unallocated space I had created for Windows 2000. Running Partition Magic 6 DOS mode did not help either. I also noticed it said something about 1024 barrier of some sort. I guess that basically meant I had no hope in hell of getting any bootable partition no matter how I resized my RAID drive.

Here's the real problem, which may have been contributed by using Partition Magic, but who knows. I decided to just upgrade Windows 98 to Windows 2000. The initial process went without any problems, but straight after it rebooted I got a screen asking for (what I suspect) are drivers for the mass storage device aka HPT370 controller. I provide these drivers that are on a floppy disk, but it says it can't find them. These are the latest Windows 2000 drivers I downloaded from ABIT. The result is a blue screen with an error message and restarting does not fix the problem.

I have therefore reverted back to Windows 98 and it works fine, although under virtual memory it shows my C:\ as being a negative number. This wasn't there prior to using Partition Magic, so I know that's the cause of it and not because of Windows 98 limitation as stated in Microsoft Knowledge base where you have disks greater than 32GIG (I think) the negative drivespace shows up. Actually in the knowledge base it says that both the drivespace and the amount of virtual memory shows up as negative, but mine is only negative for the drivespace. Partition Magic site has no answers except a link to Microsoft page explaining this problem.

The final problem (well not really one, but I want to make sure) is that I have stuff on the RAID drive, so I can't just fdisk like I want to. I have therefore bought myself another hard drive (Seagate Barracuda ATA-III 30gig 7200rpm) for this purpose, but I don't have an extra ATA-100 cable and the place I bought it from did not have any in stock either. What I want to do and want to know is if it is okay for me to fdisk this drive using a 40 ribbon cable connected to one of the non ATA-100 ports. If this works then I can get the stuff off my RAID drive, re fdisk my two IBM hard disks and reinstall Windows 98. After that I can copy the stuff on my Seagate backup disk back to the IBM disks as it was originally. However, if I want to use the Seagate disk as ATA-100, should I fdisk it again while it is attached to ATA-100 port?

Is this a problem with RAID drives? Anyone experiencing the same problems? That's all I want to know. Thanks all for reading and helping.

Regards,

Baboon.

P.S - After I fix the problem (if I do that is) I'll have the option of running two operating sytems entirely on separate disks since I have two :c). Is this a better way to go even though I'll sacrifice RAID to do so, or should I stick with Windows 98 and have it as a RAID drive as before?

FatBurger

Illustrious
I have W2k installed on a RAID 0 on my Abit KT7a-RAID, no problem. I did a clean install though, since I don't like OS upgrades at all.

The driver disk is NOT the Hotrod 100 disk that comes with the MB. You have to create one off the CD. I don't remember the path, but it's in the manual. Just make sure you create the directories right on the floppy. Go into the hpt370 directory, and copy both the one or two files in that directory, and the directory with the name of the OS you're installing (in this case, the w2k/2000 directory. Then you should be able to install W2k. Again, that's for a clean install, not an upgrade. You might be able to solve the upgrade problems the same way.

As for ATA/66 and ATA/100, they're exactly the same. Only ATA/33 is different.

------------------------------
Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?