noochi01

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
Hi Everyone,

I've been searching for answers and thought duh- tom's hardware! I'm setting up a file server from scratch, and want to know the best recommendation for setting up the RAID would be. This is what I've done before, but want to make sure I'm on and was on the right track.

RAID 1 for OS
RAID 5 for File Storage

All drives in the server are the same size.

Thanks,

Mike

wasupmike

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010
depends on the "size" of the network... how many computers will the Server be serving? how much data/what kind/and how frequently is it going to be accessed?

and your budget too... then it would be easier to recommend a certain kind of setup specifically tailored to your needs

tkrl26

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
The Data is the most important aspect for a file server, in all retrospect who cares about the OS... Depending on the demand... I would run the OS on a single drive, and run 2 RAID 1's.

In regards to the OS, I would get it set up and after you get all your apps installed ect, I would then GHOST the drive to an image stored on an offline drive, and maybe a copy on one of the RAID 1's.

If you install IIS fully configured (constantly changeing) and have massive amount of print queue's, ect... Then I would use a RAID 1 on the OS...

Like others have stated, depends on the usage and how critical is it.