Killerkris

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
my hard disk died, this makes me annoyed as its a lot of stuff that i dont ever seem to backup, small things like windows settings etc. Anyway, this isnt gonna happen to me again so i have decided to get a raid hard disk system.
Basically my motherboard doesnt support it so i was gonna get a raid card and 2 X 40GB IBM Hard disks (7200RPM). Just wanting to know peoples opinions on a good raid card and then the setup so that the second hard disk is an exact mirror of the first so i dont ever lose my important data (till the computer blows up). Money is a bit of a problem, but if its worth spending an extra £20 on a much better RAID card its not too bad, and i know the hard disks will cost me ~£180 anyway

Thanks a lot for opinions and comments

Killerkris

PS the rest of the system that matters will be:
a ide 20Gb hard disk just lying there as an extra hard disk for backup/transfers etc
512MB ram, socket A motherboard and then a good powerful system

A Life, where can i download one of those from?

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I would go with the Promise FastTrak TX2 card. If I was going to go with something that provided more security I would go with something that allows RAID level 5, like the Adaptec RAID controllers (more money "pounds" for you).

Other then that if money is an issue I would invest in a nice CD burner and keep your data backed up on CD.

<font color=red>I aM WE ToDD DiD.</font color=red><font color=white> I aM </font color=white><font color=blue>SOfA KING WE ToDD DiD</font color=blue>

Killerkris

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i've got a 16X burner, just seems a waste of CDs and my time to burn a few MB each nite, and backing up my ~25GB optimal installation of windows and programs onto CD is just a joke

thanks for the advise tho

A Life, where can i download one of those from?

svol

Champion
Maybe this article can help:
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.html?i=1491" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.html?i=1491</A>

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .