RAID0 drive failed on boot

Sep 18, 2018
Hi all,

This issue only happened a few days ago and I've been looking for solution all over the internet ever since. But I just can't find anything that solves the issue.

I was just working on my personal laptop that is equipped with windows 8.1 and 2 SSD drives organized in Raid0 (I don't know what that meant before and I swear I will use them in raid1 in the future).

Suddenly the screen has frozen. I've restarted the laptop and windows has told me there's been a launch issue and I needed to restore/repair. I've launched the repairing process and after a while of a screen saying ''preparing the restore'', only the arrow pointer appears, nothing more.

After browsing forums, I've looked at the bios, made some boots on a USB drive to reinstall windows... But nothing has changed since. I've still this message of Intel rapid storage on booting:

Kw92zKk.jpg

Can somebody give me some hint to go further? I don't know if it's one the drive that died or just a smallest issue (corrupted sector?). The only solution I've left is to open the laptop and check the connection of the SSD drives themselves...

Thanks in advance.
Marc

Ps: I'm really not an expert and may have failed in reproducing perfectly the tutorials seen on the net... The big issue is that my last backup is almost 1 year old :(

Solution
SInce you data is likely long gone anyway (standard risk with a RAID 0, a glitch, and you are done), you have the option in the Intel RST menu to set the discs to non-RAID (option 3 in your pic of the menu), which would at least allow you to proceed with a single SSD (no RAID) if you so choose, vice being stuck doing nothing as is in it's current corrupted/failed state...

Hopefully, the system included some recovery media, as you are certainly unable to recover from a recovery partition on a failed RAID 0...

(Alas, 120 GB is small by today's standards, and fills up rather quickly!)
Probably a bad drive. Honestly if the drive is bad your data is gone. And yea OEM's do this shit all the time. give you RAID 0 on drives. So stupid.

Honestly best thing right now to do, at least to get you up and going. is to turn off RAID, removed the one bad drive, and install windows on the single drive.

You can plug the SSD's into another PC and run a program called Crystal Disk Info and see if they are bad or even if they register (each drive by themselves) in the other PC too to determine failure.

SInce you data is likely long gone anyway (standard risk with a RAID 0, a glitch, and you are done), you have the option in the Intel RST menu to set the discs to non-RAID (option 3 in your pic of the menu), which would at least allow you to proceed with a single SSD (no RAID) if you so choose, vice being stuck doing nothing as is in it's current corrupted/failed state...

Hopefully, the system included some recovery media, as you are certainly unable to recover from a recovery partition on a failed RAID 0...

(Alas, 120 GB is small by today's standards, and fills up rather quickly!)

Solution