raid0 failed disk - recovery

jay-r15

Commendable
Jul 31, 2016
Hi everyone,

I had a raid0 setup with 2x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ drives until 1 of them failed, completely out of the blue, a couple of days ago. When booting, the failed disk tries to spin up a few times and then gives up, and isn't recognized in the BIOS.

Since I have an identical working drive I tried to replace the failed disk's PCB with the working one's to see if that would fix it and thankfully, that did work which means the failed drive with the working PCB is able to spin up and is also being detected.

I've read in several places that a PCB swap for modern drives usually requires replacing the PCB's BIOS chip. Since my drive is being recognized (size is reported as 2TB), can I assume that I will be able to successfully run recovery software or could I still run into problems due to not replacing the BIOS? I'm looking for an educated guess, so I can decide how to proceed. FWIW, the first 10 digits of the 2 drives' PNs match.

S Haran

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2013
Often the ROM chip on the patient needs to be transferred to the donor PCB as the ROM contains unique drive data. But Samsung Spinpoint F3 appears to be an exception. So if the PCB firmware matches and it is being detected with the proper size/geometry then you should be good to try recovery.