-sandro-

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2011
Hello,
I'm planning to build a desktop with 1TB single drive for storage and 2x250GB in RAID0

the RAID0 I'd like to partition it in about 50GB for the OS and the rest for "temp usage".

- will partition the array use the outer and thus faster part of BOTH the disks?
- I'll try to never use the rest of the disk for daily usage but I do a lot video encoding and the RAID0 setup is the main reason I did this and accessing the data with that speed. Now if use for instance adobe premiere with the app being on first partition and the videos being on the second partition will this slow down everything and make it worse than if the videos were on the other non-raid disk? will it be still better? will it be like having the OS+temp storage without partition?
What -I think- is that it won't slow down things that much because during editing or encoding it's not like the first partition is accessed that much right since the app will be accessed from the ram mainly.

NetworkStorageTips

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
A lot depends on the RAID controller, but if you are accessing both partitions simultaneously then they will compete for access to the drive.

Personally, I never recommend RAID0, or even any RAID on a workstation/desktop PC.

I would certainly never put an OS on a RAID0 partition, if I did decide to use one.

What was your plan for backing up?

I've used raid0 since before SATA was even heard of on all of my systems. Only stopped because I'm now using SSDs. Not one problem, But then maybe I'm lucky.

As to your question. Do not do a partition, Use the raid0 setup. When asked for volume size for the first volume specify your 50 gigs - Personally 50 is to small, go for a min size of 100->150 gigs. When you complete that volume, set the remainder of the disk for Volume 2. Most onboard raid controllers only allow for two volumes.

Windows will List two HDDs, HDD0 and HDD1, NOT One HDD!. You may, if desired, parrtition "HDD1" using disk management. Load windows on HDD0. during Boot you need not worry about concurrent disk access, all files are on HDD0. When you open a program, all files are on Disk0, all the files that that program works with (your data) will be on HDD1. This minimizes concurrent disk request between the two "Drives" (note the word drives, not partitions).

This is a modified version of Short stroke.
Not all New drives are recommended for Raid.

-sandro-

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2011

That's exactly what I wanna do. thanks!