Question RAID10 (4 drive), single failure, unable to recover?!

Jun 20, 2020
Hi all,

I'm new here, and hoping you can help me out; please excuse any lack of tech terminology!

Okay, so I've got a Seagate 4 drive NAS, 12tb (4 x 3tb), which is setup in RAID10 for redundancy. I've had a drive fail recently (drive 2), but having sourced another and 'claimed' it on the Seagate dash, I have absolutely no option to rebuild/recover. Worryingly, the dash says the unit is 100% free... but I know full well that I had a hefty amount of data on there (loads of movies, and all of the photos of the family from the last 12 years or so). I'm obviously concerned that I've lost everything, and also annoyed that I seem unable to add a new drive and recover as I should be able to.

As it was disk 2 that failed, I still have 3 and 4 that I believe were striped, so I'm hoping I might still be able to recover everything. I've had the drives hooked up to a Windows machine with EaseUS and can see some of the photos when I scan (I say some because they're fragmented, I'm guessing because they're split over the two drives), however I can't for the life of me figure out how to hook them up to a PC as a single volume to get the files 'whole' as it were.

Has anyone every had this issue before? Can I hook my drives up and get my data back?! Any help would be seriously appreciated; the whole reason for having the NAS and running RAID10 was to prevent loss of everything. Before anyone asks, I've tried contacting Seagate, and so far they've ignored one email and their site refuses to let me send a message to them.

Cheers in advance.

Mark

kanewolf

Titan
Hi all,

I'm new here, and hoping you can help me out; please excuse any lack of tech terminology!

Okay, so I've got a Seagate 4 drive NAS, 12tb (4 x 3tb), which is setup in RAID10 for redundancy. I've had a drive fail recently (drive 2), but having sourced another and 'claimed' it on the Seagate dash, I have absolutely no option to rebuild/recover. Worryingly, the dash says the unit is 100% free... but I know full well that I had a hefty amount of data on there (loads of movies, and all of the photos of the family from the last 12 years or so). I'm obviously concerned that I've lost everything, and also annoyed that I seem unable to add a new drive and recover as I should be able to.

As it was disk 2 that failed, I still have 3 and 4 that I believe were striped, so I'm hoping I might still be able to recover everything. I've had the drives hooked up to a Windows machine with EaseUS and can see some of the photos when I scan (I say some because they're fragmented, I'm guessing because they're split over the two drives), however I can't for the life of me figure out how to hook them up to a PC as a single volume to get the files 'whole' as it were.

Has anyone every had this issue before? Can I hook my drives up and get my data back?! Any help would be seriously appreciated; the whole reason for having the NAS and running RAID10 was to prevent loss of everything. Before anyone asks, I've tried contacting Seagate, and so far they've ignored one email and their site refuses to let me send a message to them.

Cheers in advance.

Mark
My guess, since you say you had 12TB space, is that you DID NOT have RAID 10, but RAID 0. If that is the case, then you have no data, because your data was spread across all 4 drives. You are missing 25% of every byte.

Jun 20, 2020
My guess, since you say you had 12TB space, is that you DID NOT have RAID 10, but RAID 0. If that is the case, then you have no data, because your data was spread across all 4 drives. You are missing 25% of every byte.

I had 6TB of space to fill, from the 12TB total disk space within the unit if you get what I mean? Effectively, I only had half of the available storage space as I had a mirror of drives 1 and 2 in the same box. The dash still says it's RAID 10, just won't let me do anything with it!

kanewolf

Titan
I had 6TB of space to fill, from the 12TB total disk space within the unit if you get what I mean? Effectively, I only had half of the available storage space as I had a mirror of drives 1 and 2 in the same box. The dash still says it's RAID 10, just won't let me do anything with it!
6TB usable, would be appropriate for RAID10 of 4x3TB disks.
Have you contacted the manufacturer of the NAS for help?

Jun 20, 2020
6TB usable, would be appropriate for RAID10 of 4x3TB disks.
Have you contacted the manufacturer of the NAS for help?

I've tried via email, they haven't responded, and the website won't let me send messages at the moment. I've just fired up ReclaiMe , and will keep my fingers (and toes) crossed that I can recover some of what I've lost. In a perfect world I'd just send the drives off to a professional recovery company, but we're not in a position to do that unfortunately. I'll let you guys know what happens, thanks very much for your help so far.

Another option is DMDE. It can autodetect your RAID parameters (drive order, offset, stripe size), and it can build a virtual RAID volume. It costs US$20 for the standard version. ReclaiMe will detect the RAID parameters, but you will need to purchase the paid version to recover your data.

Reactions: Hockin
Jun 20, 2020
Hi all. What a fun filled few days I've had... None of the options above worked on the RAID unfortunately, everything that was able to be recovered was partial files; however, I had a brainwave. Prior to getting the NAS going, I stored everything on an old desktop, which had an internal mirror (for redundancy!). Even though I deleted everything when I moved over to the NAS (I was re-purposing and needed drive space) I thought I'd run the mirror through some recovery software as I knew that it hadn't been written over since moving to the NAS this time last year. So far I've recovered 175GB of pictures, and there's still lots more to go; everything since last year should still be on phones etc so I'll make a point of getting everything backed-up this week.

I think going forward I'll get rid of the NAS, and probably get a tower with multiple drives, and simply mirror internally as it seems the safest way (might even get some DVD's burning).

Thanks very much for your help and suggestions, I have learned my lesson!