RAID10 fails after BIOS reset

yhimself

Commendable
Jul 19, 2016
Hi, i have a problem with my RAID10. I`m currently trying to overclock my cpu, and i had to reset the BIOS to default, but as default the SATA controller reverts from RAID to AHCI mode in BIOS, and then my motherboard`s Intel RAID controller is not able to load up my raid resulting it to give the raid a failed error, and i have to spend many hours rebuilding\recovering the raid array.
I might have to reset to default more times in the future and i don`t want to spend the 8+ hours it takes to rebuild\recover the raid.
Is this normal? Is there a way to prevent this from happening?
The motherboard is a Asus p8p67 pro. I`m using 4 3TB disks in the raid.
Thank You

yhimself

Commendable
Jul 19, 2016
It booted up windows before i could do anything, i immediately restarted and went into BIOS and set it back to RAID, but it seems it was too late and the raid array was already showing as 'Failed'. All four drives said 'non-raid drive' in the Intel raid software.
I followed this writeup now as it seemed he had the exact same problem: https://blog.jordanhopfner.com/2014/09/19/recover-a-failed-raid-array-with-disks-that-havent-actually-failed/

But after finishing the testdisk analyze of the raid it said it was unable to build the filesystem, so i guess my data is lost now.

yhimself

Commendable
Jul 19, 2016
Hamperking68: That would probably be very difficult as the data was striped over 2 hdd`s.

I just accepted my data was gone, luckily i had a 6month old backup on an external hdd.

But as a warning to others, using the onboard raid controller on the motherboard is really not a good idea at all, as if you ever reset the bios or accidentally set the sata controller to something other than raid all your data will be lost. That`s atleast my experience.

I ended up buying a hardware raid card as that way i wont loose my raid unless the card itself breaks (its also giving me alot better speeds), i also do regular backups to an external source now.