Question RAID5 from older Intel mobo readable by new AMD mobo?

May 27, 2019
On my old self-built gaming system, I had a RAID5 array for my data drive built using three 500G SATA hard drives, the array having been built just using the RAID functions built-in to the mobo (no external/add-in RAID controller).

Well, that mobo is toast now - something on it literally smoked. But oh well, it was time to build a new one anyway, and for my new one I'm thinking of going with an AMD Ryzen-based system.

However, I want to preserve the data on that RAID5 array if at all possible (I do have a backup, but it's like 10-12 months outdated).

Has anyone tried something like this? Is it likely to work, or no?

Relevant details on the old system: Intel Z68-chipset mobo (literally, Intel-brand board), i7-2600K CPU, 1x Sandisk 256G SSD boot drive on SATA 3, 3x Hitachi 500G hard drives in RAID 5 (on SATA 2, I believe - those Z68 boards only had a couple SATA 3 ports, others were all SATA 2 - although note the drives themselves are SATA 3 capable). OS was Win7 Pro.

Unfortunately, I cannot even boot the dead mobo into BIOS to see what kind of configuration settings I had made. I just remember striping it as RAID5. I believe there was an Intel-branded Rapid Storage Utility on the OS which allowed me to monitor the health of the array.

So, again, the question is: if the drives themselves are still good, is it likely that a contemporary AMD-motherboard BIOS wil be able to recognize that older RAID5 array and mount the drive in the OS? Is there anything I can do to increase the likelihood of it working - for example, would I need to ensure the drives are connected in a similar order (SATA ports 0-2, for example)? If not, would I have better luck with a new Intel-based board?

USAFRet

Titan
A 10-12 month old back is not a backup. That is a year old collection of random junk.
An actual backup is a current, full set of data that you can recover into any space of suitable size. A new RAID array, or a single very large drive, or whatever.

Motherboard RAID 5 from an ancient Z68 Intel system, trying to recover that in a brand new AMD system with a new OS?
Highly unlikely.

Your best bet is to replace that motherboard with an exact duplicate, and see if it reads that RAID 5.
If it does, then COPY that data in full off to some large space.
Build your new AMD system, and copy the data back.

popatim

Titan
Nope. Intel to Intel you had a chance but Intel to AMD has never worked to my knowledge.

You can reconstruct the raid with software using R-Studio or DMDE on the AMD board as long as the drives are good & not corrupted.. There are other software but I haven't used those. You'll need a drive to recover the data to.

Best practice would be to image the drives first so that if something goes wrong it will not be a total loss.

May 27, 2019
Thanks for the advice. A buddy has an old Z68 system about the same vintage as mine, although from a different board manufacturer (Gigabyte); based on this information I think I will have my best chance trying to get that to recognize this array before attempting with anything newer.