Question RAID6 Failure ?

Jan 9, 2023
Good morning everyone;

Glad to find forums like these where you can spend hours and hours reading similar topics.

My problem is related to a RAID6 failure.

The AVAGO SAS 9271 that was managing our RAID6 is death, as the heatsink dropped off from the PCB (I still can´t belive it).

I tried to replace this card with another 9271 card from LSI (older) instead Avago (LSI merged into Avago and then, Broadcomm), with an older firmware.

I could see the disk, but with a "Not importable" status:

HHDm5aY.jpeg

After a Firmware update to the old card to the bricked card FW version, this is the current status:

tw14PFa.jpeg

NotImportable2.jpeg

So, I still not being able to import the configuration.

My raid was partitioned in 2:

Storage

Disk #1, Partition #0

Disk #1, Partition #1

F:\ NTFS 47582589 MB (37425579 MB free)

Disk #0, Partition #0

Disk #0, Partition #1

C:\ NTFS 99999 MB (78983 MB free)

I saw this KB from Huawei where they are getting back from my current situation but just with 1 partition, so my question is, does anyone knows what should be my next step to recover my raid?

I suspect I should create both parttions, the first with 100Gb and the second with all the space left, is int? I have no idea if setting the wrong partition order could lead to a data loss. In addition to "Initialize" the raid, what else can lead in data loss?

Thank you,

Regards

Jan 9, 2023
I would recommend getting a good backup solution, we use Veeam at work but even macrium reflect has a good backup solution. RAID of any level is not a backup, its only a solution for up time.
Yes, that is the main learn from this problem.
We already have Veeam for the whole virtualization enviroment but not for this big array. As you said, we have been for many years considering our raid as a backup... until it fails.

Thank you, this wont happen us again!