News Raijintek Launches Gigantic GPU Air Cooler For AMD Navi, Nvidia Turing GPUs

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I don't really understand how this can outperform the coolers with integrated vapor chambers, such as those used on upper-end Founders Edition models and (I think) high-end Vega cards.

Yeah, it might have more heat pipes and better airflow, but getting the heat off-die seems like a major potential bottleneck.

Apr 1, 2020
Only use I can see for this is for the people who bought reference edition cards but didn't buy them to liquid cool them.

But then again with RDNA2 and Ampere set to bring leaps in performance, there's not much point if it's not priced right.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
Only use I can see for this is for the people who bought reference edition cards but didn't buy them to liquid cool them.

But then again with RDNA2 and Ampere set to bring leaps in performance, there's not much point if it's not priced right.
it's supposed to be reusable. so when you upgrade, you just mount it on the new card. it should be better than any AIB card

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
it's supposed to be reusable. so when you upgrade, you just mount it on the new card. it should be better than any AIB card
Better than reference/Founders, sure. But spend enough money on a nice Asus Strix, Gigabyte Aorus, Msi Gaming X Trio, EVGA FTW3, etc - basically the AIBs' high end segments, and DIY coolers like that start to lose face.

Reactions: bit_user

mcgge1360

Reputable
Oct 3, 2017
I don't really understand how this can outperform the coolers with integrated vapor chambers, such as those used on upper-end Founders Edition models and (I think) high-end Vega cards.

Yeah, it might have more heat pipes and better airflow, but getting the heat off-die seems like a major potential bottleneck.
Unlike CPUs, GPUs don't have a pesky lid in the way. And with the massive amount of heat they make compared to a CPU, the bottleneck is almost always getting heat OUT of the cooler. By giving it more thickness you can have more "cooler" and better fans that actually push more air down instead of sideways. Compared to almost any FE or 3rd party card, these things run cooler and quieter, with the exception of liquid cooled GPUs and maybe some of the 3 card solutions available.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Heatpipes are essentially vapor chambers.
I know they operate on the same principle, but that's not my point. The point of a vapor chamber is to efficiently remove heat from all parts of the die and transfer it to the next element in the cooling solution. Wheres, unless you use direct-touch heatpipes, their job is only to move heat from the base into the fins.

To be honest, I thought high-end Nvidia RTX Founders' Edition cards had both a vapor chamber and heat pipes, but I'm having trouble finding a good pic of the heatsink. I know their top-end cards use vapor chambers for many generations, now.

Anyway, the question still stands - can a solid block of metal transfer heat efficiently enough into those heatpipes, or is it a potential bottleneck?

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Unlike CPUs, GPUs don't have a pesky lid in the way. And with the massive amount of heat they make compared to a CPU, the bottleneck is almost always getting heat OUT of the cooler.
Not compared with something like an overclocked Skylake-X CPU, which burns similar power and where the bottleneck very much was getting the heat off die.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i9-7900x-skylake-x,5092-11.html

I guess the difference vs. a CPU is that there's an intentional gap under the lid of a non-soldered CPU, where they pack more TIM than you'd have if the spreader were allowed to exert some force and squash it.

Perhaps the biggest cooling advantage GPUs have over CPUs is die size. The massive dies of high-end GPUs gives them more area for transferring the heat.

Anyway, I still think the best GPU air cooling solution would be a vapor chamber + heat pipes. The thermal conductivity of a vapor chamber or heat pipe is orders of magnitude greater than even a solid block of copper.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020

The reason it can outperform air coolers used by top end graphic card models is because its only job is to cool the GPU, and nothing else. Parts like VRAM and VRM are cooled separately. Air coolers used by most graphic card need to soak in heat from the GPU, VRAM and VRM. The latter 2 runs very hot as well.

Jun 23, 2020
I'm using their older cooler on my Vega 64. It definitely takes up a lot of space, but they're not kidding about heat dissipation. Two 120mm fans keep my card to around 65C no matter how much I load it, and it's impressively quiet with good fans.

Reactions: bit_user

TRENDING THREADS