Question Raijintek Ophion evo case - Cooling advice & Temps

jadc007

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
Hello all,

I have always wanted a powerful Micro ITX case and I recently made the jump of putting my high end components into the little Raijintek Ophion evo (With one small case modification to make it work)

To the point with details and Specs

8700K stock (Due to temps)
Zotac 1080ti Amp extreme
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
M.2 250gb
Asus Z390 Phantom gaming ITX
Pallas 120mm top down air cooler
2x Corsair ML120mm High pressure exhausts (Top)
1off Corsair ML120mm High pressure intake (Bottom)

Case dimensions - 174×375×290 mm

CPU TEMPS IDLE - 39-45c
GPU TEMPS IDLE - 45 - 54c

CPU TEMPS on load - 68-75c
GPU TEMPS on load - 65 - 79c (To get this temp I had to pack out on rubber grommets on the side panel to get more clearance otherwise if i didnt and left it at standard clearance due to the size of card I was hitting 85c to 89c) I have not done this mod to the CPU side panel yet

Fans are at about 60-70% which the noise level is bearable

Would you say these temps are ok for being in a micro ITX case and of course being air cooled? What could I do to reduce the heat within ?
I did think about getting a 240 watercooler - do you think this would reduce the excess heat from the case and the temps of the GPU might lower ? I did notice some performance issues which I had to get more clearance on the glass side panels. See picture below.

Modifications - Cut rear side panel to fit the card in, adding more rubber inserts to side glass to get clearance.

20190522-141850.jpg

20190527-165028.jpg

IMG-20190524-WA0005.jpg

Thanks all :)

Last edited:
Ur case has 90 mm cpu cooler height clearance.

pallas120-8.png

Do you think the pallas has enough room to fit that 13mm thick fan below and add 1 more fan in the top for push pull?

Maybe shave down the fan frame a bit to reduce it to 12mm? Some diy?

The case has dust filters at top and bottom, just for the sake of increased airflow, consider 2 top intakes and 1 bottom exhaust?

jadc007

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
I was considering using the top as intake because I am starting to believe where the intake is retricted, Yes I am extracting the heat but I must be starving the system with clean air. Will give it a go tonight.

Could you confirm (If you can) if I were to switch to 240 AIO would I have the radiator fans as an exhaust or intake ? Sorry for the stupid question, I have never done water cooling - always been a air cool kind of guy! Would having an AIO reduce the overheat with the system compared to having an a fan cooler

thanks in advance

Having the aio as top exhaust will output the heat from the cpu to outside the case.

But it will use the hot air inside the case to cool the rads. Then again, with just 1 bottom intake, there just isn't much airflow.

Having the aio as top intake would give a bit warm air for the gpu but more in cfm than a single intake.

So can't say for sure how much of an improvement you will have.

jadc007

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
Hi Lucky, thank you for your help so far - I have ordered an AIO in the end ... which as stated, never had one before

Obviously I will have it mounted at the top of the case, would you recommend the fan as an exhaust or intake ?

thank you

jadc007

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
Hi Lucky,

I plunged for my very first AIO - and the temps are 10x better for my overall temps so far.

can you confirm from the picture that the pipes look ok in there position (to the best you can that is)

I have the aio fan and one next to it as intakes and the bottom as exhausts which seem to work well so far.

Capture.png