News Raijintek Teases GeForce RTX 4090-Compatible Fanless Cooler

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
I wouldn't exactly call it fanless. You will still need extremely good airflow in the case in order to omit the fans. I am talking air flow akin to a rackmount server unit.

Not in the USA, no. You can disassemble and re-assemble things as many times as you want, as long as you don't damage anything in the process. If you do damage something, that is when you do void the warranty. It's a subtle, but important distinction.

Regards.
While this is the case here in the US, it is then very easy for the manufacturer to claim any damage was done as a result of the end user.
Double edged sword there, you can do it without voiding your warranty, but you raise the risk of the manufacturer saying "no"

As for the product, its an interesting idea when considered as a bare bones cooler instead of fanless. It has the option to add fans, so you can slap whatever models you want on there.
I would be interested to see a comparison between a third party custom card, and one of these with some noctua (etc) fans on it, for thermals and noise.

Reactions: thisisaname
Not in the USA, no. You can disassemble and re-assemble things as many times as you want, as long as you don't damage anything in the process. If you do damage something, that is when you do void the warranty. It's a subtle, but important distinction.

Regards.

Warranty covers manufacturer "DEFECTS." If anything you do CAUSES failure of the product, then the warranty is void. If you install a 3rd party heatsink, and the memory overheats, that's your fault and shouldn't be warrantied. The manufacturer has a plausible case to deny your warranty.

If you leave a product unmodified, it's much harder for the manufacturer to deny the warranty.

Reactions: thisisaname
Warranty covers manufacturer "DEFECTS." If anything you do CAUSES failure of the product, then the warranty is void. If you install a 3rd party heatsink, and the memory overheats, that's your fault and shouldn't be warrantied. The manufacturer has a plausible case to deny your warranty.

If you leave a product unmodified, it's much harder for the manufacturer to deny the warranty.
Not necessarily. Strictly speaking and in good faith, yes. If you swap the HS (in this case, with the 4090) and something overheats because you did something wrong, then you void the warranty, but if you re-assemble the card and use stock components (paste, thermal pads), you can still claim warranty and they can't deny it if you don't mention what you did. It's the same-ish with CPU overclocking.

Regards.

newtechldtech

Notable
Sep 21, 2022
It looks like any 3 slots GPU cooler from ASUS or Gigabyte minus the fans . same huge heatsink and same pipes. and it will heat up very fast forcing the GPU to throttle .

wr3zzz

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Per the article itself the cooler still needs to add fans to use on a 4090. Does Tomshardware not employ editors anymore? Or is the site now own by Taboola?

Joseph_138

Distinguished
Of course, it is. It is no longer in the same state that it was in when you bought it. It is considered to have been modified. Install one of these, run it without a fan, and if the GPU or VRAMS, or any other component that requires active cooling burns up, it's on you to replace it. And don't think they won't be able to tell the difference between a card that failed due to a manufacturing defect, and one that failed because you ran it without adequate cooling. They'll know. They aren't stupid.

Oct 23, 2022
Ok but why would we do this? Warranty is voided immediately and coolers on the 4090 and top 3xxx are already massive.
Well, this suddenly makes a 4090 much smaller! This cooler is 254mm long, the smallest partner board is 334 mm long (MSI). The ASUS TUF 4090 is over 350 mm long! Put on some Noctua A12x25 or Phantek T30, and I think it would be an awesome mod to a custom build! Honestly, without this mod, the only 4090 that could fit in my case (Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact) is the Founders Edition - which they don't sell in my country (Switzerland).

newtechldtech

Notable
Sep 21, 2022
Well, this suddenly makes a 4090 much smaller! This cooler is 254mm long, the smallest partner board is 334 mm long (MSI). The ASUS TUF 4090 is over 350 mm long! Put on some Noctua A12x25 or Phantek T30, and I think it would be an awesome mod to a custom build! Honestly, without this mod, the only 4090 that could fit in my case (Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact) is the Founders Edition - which they don't sell in my country (Switzerland).

buy another case then much more practical than changing te cooler of an expensive card.