[SOLVED] Raising the dead

Sep 6, 2020
How do I get my old Acer Aspire M1610 back up and running. It will power on, and I can access the BIOS.However upon opening the case found hard drive had been removed (probably by me years ago) Can't find original OS disc - case label says Windows Vista Home Basic - but can't remember which OS was running on it when last in use. Just want to use as a basic functioning PC really. I am against adding this to landfill - too much usable items get trashed in this throw away society. How can I install an OS and get it running ?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Even if you did get it back to power up with an OS on it, the system would be far behind what you're going to be working with in today's standards(ram and CPU power wise). I'd say to leave it alone, especially since you're going to have to buy a new storage drive for having the OS and the only OS you can drop on that platform is either 8.1 or 10 from Microsoft's Windows platform.

Mind sharing an SKU to your prebuilt platform?

Short answer, spend your resources on a more power efficient system with concurrent hardware.

Sep 6, 2020
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Even if you did get it back to power up with an OS on it, the system would be far behind what you're going to be working with in today's standards(ram and CPU power wise). I'd say to leave it alone, especially since you're going to have to buy a new storage drive for having the OS and the only OS you can drop on that platform is either 8.1 or 10 from Microsoft's Windows platform.

Mind sharing an SKU to your prebuilt platform?

Short answer, spend your resources on a more power efficient system with concurrent hardware.
I understand - I just hate to add PC to the mountain of discarded hardware
I have a few spare HDD's so if I try and fail at least I made the attempt - I may only get 12months of use- that must be better than just dumping it .
Of course the question becomes academic if I can't install an OS on it. Problem is I have no idea how to install an OS without being able to locate original disc . This PC doesn't have to be fast or even connected to the internet

Sep 6, 2020
So sorry I am a complete tech dummy - what exactly is Linux? - please excuse my ignorance - is it an OS ? how would I use it to breath life into the "old rig". As my Acer does not have a HDD at the moment ( I have some spare HDD's )- the message I get upon booting is - Boot Failure please insert Disc or words to that effect. What would I need to do next ? I know enough to enter the BIOS then my knowledge goes rapidly down hill.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
So sorry I am a complete tech dummy - what exactly is Linux? - please excuse my ignorance - is it an OS ? how would I use it to breath life into the "old rig". As my Acer does not have a HDD at the moment ( I have some spare HDD's )- the message I get upon booting is - Boot Failure please insert Disc or words to that effect. What would I need to do next ? I know enough to enter the BIOS then my knowledge goes rapidly down hill.
Install one of your available (previously discussed) HDDs and load the Linux operating system. Write the Linux ISO to a usb drive and then boot from the drive to begin the installation process.