[SOLVED] Ralink RT3090 WiFi 'disappeared' following Win 10 update.

Frooby

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2016
Packard Bell OneTwo L5800 (L17623UK)

Hi. I'm putting this issue down to a recent Win 10 upgrade (2004) after which my WiFi option disappeared.

If I go to Settings > Network & Internet Status, the WiFi option isn't there.

In Device Manager 'Network Controller' has a yellow '!' and clicking on this says 'driver not installed'. Trying to install/update a driver returns "Windows was unable ti install your Network Controller'.

Under Network Adapters, there's a list of 'WAN Miniports (with 'IKEv' etc) but I can find no reference under 'Devices' for a WiFi adaptor.

I've tried locating drivers for the RT3090 from the Microsoft download site, but these give me '.cab' files which mean nothing to me.

I don't know if this is a software (ie driver or similar) issue or my WiFi card has just gone kaput - is there any way for me to check this other than replacement?

If I do get another card - which I'm more than happy to do - is there a more recent equivalent which should hopefully have more up-to-date drivers too? My PC is a 2010 model, but is absolutely perfect for my everyday needs with its i3 and a recent SSD - it boots up in a few seconds and does every normal duty I ask of it without complaint.

Many thanks.

Since you have a file just tell the device manager to use that file to load the driver. It should be smart enough to take the files out of the cab file. It is just a packed file storage similar to zip so if you really want you can extract the file. There are many instructions on how to do this but you should not have to.

If you get really stuck there are youtube videos on how to update drivers from cab files. They are all done the same a video for any device will show you the basic steps.

On a very old card like that microsoft likely has the latest drivers. Normally I would recommend getting them from the chipset manufacture. In this case RALINK no longer exists. They used to have a very easy to use driver library. They were purchased by mediatec. You can still get drivers for the ralink stuff from mediatec but there website is much harder to find things on.

Reactions: Frooby

Frooby

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2016
Argh. 'Network Controller' - which used to have the yellow '!' on it - no longer appears in the 'Device Manager' list, so I can't try a direct driver update from that.

No wireless adaptor or anything similar comes up. Is there any way to test whether it's a hardware (ie the WiFi card) or software (driver) issue?

I'm inclined to just go for a new card to try it out, but would obviously like something more up-to-date and fully compatible with Win 10. Any suggestions for an alternative to the Ralink RT3090, anyone?

Thanks.

EDIT: From some surfing, I found you should click on 'View' > 'Show Hidden Devices', and up comes the Ralink Wireless card under Network Adaptors. When I click on it, it says "Currently this device is not connected to the computer (Code 45)"

Has it simply become physically detached?! The PC hasn't been knocked or anything. Ah well, time to remove the back cover...

Last edited: