Question RAM 2666 overclocking to 3000 XMP, with Clevo (Sager) PB51RF-G

Sep 18, 2019
I would like to overclock 8Gb 2666 HyperX DDR4 memory with XMP profile with Clevo (Sager) PB51RF-G .

I am quite new to XMP so I would like to ask some newbie questions:
  1. Do I need special Ram that has 3000Mhz rate to use in XMP or I can use normal 2666Mhz Ram?
  2. Why my XMP profiles(Default, XMP1, XMP2) are the same in BIOS? (Pic. 1)
  3. What software should I use to make best results?
  4. I have also Kingston 2x16Gb (32Gb) 2666MHz CL19 1.2V in other laptop. Is it possible to overclock it also?
Bios photos:

27JmdoK.jpg

AapPGXA.jpg

S5z6KDM.png

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
  1. To enable XMP and hit 3000MHz yes, you'd need a kit that is rated for 3000MHz. Otherwise, you'd use the 2666MHz profile as a starting point, and manually tune your speed/timings from there.
  2. Your XMP profiles are the same, because that's all the kit shipped with. There may be slight differences in unseen timings, but chances are good the standard is 3 profiles, and they were only shipping with 1... so that was replicated.
  3. The BIOS. I'm not aware of any software that'll allow you to tweak RAM speeds from within Windows - and for good reason. The BIOS is where you'd make these changes - and then test stability with software (MemTest, Prime, Aida).
  4. "Possible", sure. Providing the BIOS allows for RAM overclocking. However, that doesn't mean there's substantial improvements available on any/all kits.

Kits rated/sold as 2666MHz are usually sold that way, because that's the best they can do at reasonable timings. You might luck out and hit 3000MHz, stable without much tweaking in terms of timings.... but chances are pretty good that you'll have to loosen timings to the point you negate any benefits gained from increasing the speed.

Endre

Reputable
If your memory is Kingston HyperX Fury, then it is a Plug-N-Play type of memory, which means that it runs at 2666MT/s speed by default.
You cannot overclock it higher using the XMP profiles.

I wouldn’t overclock it manually because that will lead to future instability without seeing a real benefit from it.

Sep 18, 2019
Kits rated/sold as 2666MHz are usually sold that way, because that's the best they can do at reasonable timings. You might luck out and hit 3000MHz, stable without much tweaking in terms of timings.... but chances are pretty good that you'll have to loosen timings to the point you negate any benefits gained from increasing the speed.

My current bios doesn't support overclocking only XMP menu I found.
So to make sure that will work at 3000Mhz it is good to buy for ex:
https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Tec...+3200mhz+ddr4&qid=1568827066&s=gateway&sr=8-8

BUT there is remark about i7 H processors.
I have i7-9750H will it work then?

Disclaimer
  1. HyperX DDR4 PnP memory will run in most DDR4 systems up to the speed allowed by the manufacturer's system BIOS. PnP cannot increase the system memory speed faster than is allowed by the manufacturer's BIOS. Memory overclocking is locked at 2133MHz (Skylake), 2400MHz (Kaby Lake), or 2666Mhz (Coffee Lake} on all mobile processors except H Series Core i7 processors (i7-xxxxHQ or i7-xxxxHK).

Sep 18, 2019

There is some confusion it says it supports :
1. Support XMP (depends on CPU SKU)
https://www.clevo.com.tw/clevo_prodetail.asp?id=1199&lang=en
2. ...or 2666Mhz (Coffee Lake} on all mobile processors except H Series Core i7 processors (i7-xxxxHQ or i7-xxxxHK).
https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Tec...+3200mhz+ddr4&qid=1568827066&s=gateway&sr=8-8

Does i7-9750H processor supports it?
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...9750h-processor-12m-cache-up-to-4-50-ghz.html

Will it work?

Sep 18, 2019

It looks like I can modify XMP profile. Which parameters should I tweak first to get 3000Mhz at DDR4 8Gb 2666MHz to see if there is any chance to rise frequency?