[SOLVED] RAM 3200 Mhz compatible with the MSI B250M Mortar motherboard?

Kevimuxx69

Prominent
Feb 20, 2019
Hello!

My RAM stick has broken, but I was thinking of changing the PC and for at least a few weeks I can't. Then I had thought to buy some 3200 Mhz memory sticks and then when I change computers I already have the memory purchased and in the meantime I can continue using this PC.

So my question is if the motherboard would have no problem using sticks like that. The motherboard is an MSI B250M Mortar that supports up to 2400 Mhz and the processor is an Intel i5 7500.

Thank you!

Solution
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16

Without the XMP profile enabled in your BIOS, as @rgd1101 specified, the memory will default at the JEDEC standard... either 2133 or 2400 MHz. The kit you linked will run at 2133 MHz by default.

You can increase the frequency to 2400 MHz from your BIOS without changing anything else... it'll work.

The motherboard will work with the sticks... there's nothing to worry about.

When you get your new motherboard(that supports 3200 memory), remember that the kit will still default at 2133 MHz. You'll need to go into your BIOS and enable the XMP/DOCP profile to run at the advertised 3200 MHz.

WildCard999

Titan
Essentially the 3200mhz kit will downclock to 2133 (or 2400, depends on XMP profile) to meet the requirements of the motherboard. It won't hurt the memory nor motherboard to do this but I would recommend enabling XMP in the BIOS as long as the system boots up without issue as this will make the memory run at the faster speed which may improve performance a little bit.

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16

Without the XMP profile enabled in your BIOS, as @rgd1101 specified, the memory will default at the JEDEC standard... either 2133 or 2400 MHz. The kit you linked will run at 2133 MHz by default.

You can increase the frequency to 2400 MHz from your BIOS without changing anything else... it'll work.

The motherboard will work with the sticks... there's nothing to worry about.

When you get your new motherboard(that supports 3200 memory), remember that the kit will still default at 2133 MHz. You'll need to go into your BIOS and enable the XMP/DOCP profile to run at the advertised 3200 MHz.

Reactions: rgd1101
Solution

TRENDING THREADS