Question RAM 3200mhz Bios

Philsi

Reputable
Mar 8, 2016
Hey, so after building my PC I went into the BIOS to enable an xmp profile for my RAM only to find that the frequency was already defaulted at 3200mhz without an xmp profile. Do I still need to enable xmp or am I good? The sticks were advertised as DDR4 3200mhz and my motherboard is a z170 pro.

Philsi

Reputable
Mar 8, 2016
Showing as current speed. I probably should've mentioned that I am using used parts from a buddy, about 3 years old perhaps. Is it possible that he configured it that way and it carried over?
I also ran a cmd prompt that I found via google "wmic memorychip get speed" which shows 3200mhz as well.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Showing as current speed. I probably should've mentioned that I am using used parts from a buddy, about 3 years old perhaps. Is it possible that he configured it that way and it carried over?
I also ran a cmd prompt that I found via google "wmic memorychip get speed" which shows 3200mhz as well.

If the hardware is used, chances are your buddy had XMP enabled. Unless you cleared the CMOS/reset the BIOS, the settings would remain.