[SOLVED] RAM add/upgrade on Asus Rampage Extreme V

MrRipfrog

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
Greetings!

I would like to ask for some memory advice please. I have recently purchased a BlackMagic Pocket Camera 6K and will start editing 6K raw as well as applying color grading, effects, etc. and rendering out. I see most advice is to purchase memory in kits for maximum compatibility and I was thinking of upping my memory from 32GB to 64GB to maximize the performance.

1. Would there be any noticeable increase in performance for editing/effects with a faster memory kit? I believe my mobo will support DDR4 3300.

2. Should I add an additional 4 sticks of the same Ripjaws or just go with a whole new 64GB kit? (quad channel - 8 sticks)

3. Should I just live with what I have as the increase in memory would be a waste of money and not worth the performance increase?

My rig:

Rampage V Extreme - Bios version 3902
i7-6900K - Corsair Hydro H110i
GSKILL Ripjaws V - 32GB DDR4/2800 (8GBx4)
EVGA GTX 1080
950 Pro M.2 OS Drive
EVGA SuperNOVA 1050 Watts
Windows 10

Thanks in advance for any input!

Solution
Thanks again for your input Djoza. Sounds like the new rtx 30 series gpu will be a full mobo/cpu/memory upgrade for me.

Do you think the rtx 2080 ti is a substantial performance gain over my gtx 1080 ftw? It's a pretty penny to purchase and I couldn't make out if real world performance is substantial and worth the price considering what I have already.
look,if you want good performance in like 4k resolution or 1440p go dor it.The 2080ti,but if the 1080ti is holding in great and it works in these high resolutions perfectly i would stay with the 1080ti.Wait till the launch of the new rtx 30 series and see the reviews and the price and if you want,go for it

MrRipfrog

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
i were you i would consider upgrading the gpu,but the ram will help ypu.Buy the exact same kit of 32gb ripjaws since its not good to mix different ram

Thank you for the input Djoza! The 32GB kit isn't terribly expensive.

I know the Quadro cards are usually best for intense rendering work, but what GPU would you suggest? I do have the Oculus Rift and like to game a little.

Thanks again.

if you really want the rtx 20 series buy it now,but a rtx 30 series has been anounced so i would wait for that.That does not mean you rush to buy it emmediately,wait for the reviews,price of course,and see what fits you the best.
Note:For the rtx 30 series you will need pcie 4.0 gen,which is followed by a 10th gen intel or ryzen 3000 series.(for pcie 4.0 you will need a mobo with x570 chipset if you are going for ryzen 3000 series)

MrRipfrog

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
if you really want the rtx 20 series buy it now,but a rtx 30 series has been anounced so i would wait for that.That does not mean you rush to buy it emmediately,wait for the reviews,price of course,and see what fits you the best.
Note:For the rtx 30 series you will need pcie 4.0 gen,which is followed by a 10th gen intel or ryzen 3000 series.(for pcie 4.0 you will need a mobo with x570 chipset if you are going for ryzen 3000 series)

Thanks again for your input Djoza. Sounds like the new rtx 30 series gpu will be a full mobo/cpu/memory upgrade for me.

Do you think the rtx 2080 ti is a substantial performance gain over my gtx 1080 ftw? It's a pretty penny to purchase and I couldn't make out if real world performance is substantial and worth the price considering what I have already.

look,if you want good performance in like 4k resolution or 1440p go dor it.The 2080ti,but if the 1080ti is holding in great and it works in these high resolutions perfectly i would stay with the 1080ti.Wait till the launch of the new rtx 30 series and see the reviews and the price and if you want,go for it

Reactions: MrRipfrog
Solution