[SOLVED] Ram affecting cpu debug light

Oct 27, 2021
So I got new ram sticks motherboard and psu for my computer and the ram sticks are a different brand and size to my old sticks and I wanted to use both pairs on my pc but when I have them all in the right slots it powers on then restarts and then the cpu debug lights up so I tested out all the sticks the new ones are fine and the pc booted like normal but when I tried the old sticks they wouldn’t work together and one would only work in the first slot (closest to the cpu)
Components
Cpu: Ryzen 3 2200g
Ram (old): Patriot Signature Premium 2x4gb
Ram (new): Geil Orion rust red c16 2x8gb
Graphics Card: Asus Tuf 6gb rx5600xt
Motherboard: Msi B450M Mortar Max
Psu: Corsair CV650

I think it’s the ram that’s affecting the boot but idk why I just want to know if I need to buy the same brand or size ram or if I need to place them in different slots.

Solution
Please read all before doing anything.

It will be great to know the rated speed (and primary timmings) for both pairs of stick.

Perhaps you should try to boot the PC, get into the BIOS, restore default setting + Save and Exit, or at least disable XMP profile. That way RAM will work at deafult speed. After that you can try all the stick and see if it boot and go into Windows.

Another thing you may try, if you know how to do it safe, is to update BIOS. Sometimes BIOS updates may fix RAM compatibility issues.

If it works, then you can try to go into the BIOS and enable XMP once again. Keep in mind that doing this, if theres a compatiblity issue between the sticks, your PC may not boot again, not even removing a pair of sticks...
Please read all before doing anything.

It will be great to know the rated speed (and primary timmings) for both pairs of stick.

Perhaps you should try to boot the PC, get into the BIOS, restore default setting + Save and Exit, or at least disable XMP profile. That way RAM will work at deafult speed. After that you can try all the stick and see if it boot and go into Windows.

Another thing you may try, if you know how to do it safe, is to update BIOS. Sometimes BIOS updates may fix RAM compatibility issues.

If it works, then you can try to go into the BIOS and enable XMP once again. Keep in mind that doing this, if theres a compatiblity issue between the sticks, your PC may not boot again, not even removing a pair of sticks. You may have to do a clear CMOS procedure so be sure to have the motherboard manual close.

Finally, if you don't really need the extra 8GB of RAM (like if PC main use is gaming), I would just keep the 16GB which is plenty enough for any gaming. Try to sell the old RAM sticks and perhaps buy another set of your new ones, that should probably work without issues..

Solution