Question Ram and Latency

Jan 7, 2021
Good Year everyone !!! My question is this: i have a i5 10400 on a Asrock b460 phantom gaming 4 with 16 gb (2 x 8) Crucial Ballistix gaming memory DDR4 - 3000 mhz cl 16. The problem i have is that the ram runs at 2666 because of my i5 10400 and my motheboard and its cl is 19 at that frquency, so from 3000 cl16 it works at 2666 cl 19 , my question is if i change the timings in the bios of the ram can i make them work at cl16 at 2666 mhz ??? Is it safe ??? Any guide to doing such thing ??? Thanks all in advance for reading and helping !!!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You will need to perform trial and errors on the rams, since it's essentially an overclock, yes tightening the timings at a lower frequency is still considered an overclock. I think you could do so, with the stock voltages, you're just going to have to try it in BIOS.

As a cautionary note, please make sure you're on the latest BIOS update before you perform any hardware upgrades, overclocks or general tinkering.

Your motherboard supports xmp profiles.
Look to see if there is a profile for 2666 speed at better timings. CPU-Z SPD tab will tell you what is available.
That is the easy way.

Alternatively, you could try lower timings yourself.
Such specs will be in the advanced tab if they are possible at all.
No harm will come if you fail, you will just have to reset to default and try again.

When you think you have it,
Run memtest86+
It boots from a usb stick and does not use windows.
You can download the free edition here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

If you are not on the current bios level, you might want to get current.

Intel is not particularly sensitive to ram speed(integrated graphics excepted). You will probably not notice any difference.

Jan 7, 2021
For now, i have put the same timings the ram works on 3000 mhz but using 2666 because my conclusion is that if ram can work with those timings at 3000 mhz it should also work with the same timings at lesser frequency......surely im wrong but i think it makes sense...so i tried it and it is working ok till now.........maybe using the same logic i think i could even lower those timings even more since its using less frequency........by default i had this : 2666 mhz , cas 19 , ras to cas 19 , tRAS 43 , now im using 2666 mhz , cas 15 , ras to cas 16 , tRAS 35 which are the original specifications of my ram working at original 3000 mhz. Is my logic so far correct and i should push a little bit more ??? Or thats fien for now....or should i leave default cas 19 as it was at the beginning ? (i cant find no xmp profile for 2666 on the motherboard or maybe its the one with cas 19 i have in default i dont know really....
PD: if i leave it with low timings and stable does it affect my rams life durablility ????Should i go back to default cas 19 because in my system it really doesnt make a difference???