I have a PC with the following specs:

Hi,

I have a PC with the following specs:

Motherboard: ASUS P6T DELUXE V2
HDD: WESTERN DIGITAL BLACK WD1002FAEX 1TB
RAM: MUSHKIN DDR3 6GB ( 3x2GB ) 1600 MHz Silverline Stilleto Edition CL7
CPU: i7-950 3.06 GHz
PSU: SilverStone Element ST85Ef, 850W
GPU: ATI RADEON HD 5450 1GB ( my gtx 480 died so I use this until I buy a new GPU )
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ( will possibly upgrade to win 10 later )

I want to upgrade my RAM to at least 16GB. I came across Kingston HyperX Savage 16GB 1600MHz CL9 and it looks pretty good to me.

I have a question though.
- Does my motherboard support this memory? Will I get full potential out of the HyperX?
- Will it be compatible with the rest of the hardware?

Thank you.

Solution
Before rushing off and buying, first as far as 1600 DRAM goes, the CPU is rated to 1066, so to run 1600 it will prob require an OC as well as voltage adjustments to DRAM and MC (memory controller). 2nd as with most all current models of DRAM the Savage line is made with high density memory ICs (chips). The 1366 socket was designed and made for use with low density memory ICs, so that will quite probably present a problem, (if they will even work at all, we've seen numerous instances of of newer DRAM simply not doing anything. Would also help to know what set of DRAM, assuming they will even work, the 1366 also carries a limit of using 4GB sticks so getting say a 2x8GB set may of itself also prove problematic.

The old adage all DDR3...

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Before rushing off and buying, first as far as 1600 DRAM goes, the CPU is rated to 1066, so to run 1600 it will prob require an OC as well as voltage adjustments to DRAM and MC (memory controller). 2nd as with most all current models of DRAM the Savage line is made with high density memory ICs (chips). The 1366 socket was designed and made for use with low density memory ICs, so that will quite probably present a problem, (if they will even work at all, we've seen numerous instances of of newer DRAM simply not doing anything. Would also help to know what set of DRAM, assuming they will even work, the 1366 also carries a limit of using 4GB sticks so getting say a 2x8GB set may of itself also prove problematic.

The old adage all DDR3 is DDR3 just isn't true, see my article (Part 2 Fiction, Item 1) here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2741495/ddr3-faqs-fiction.html

Solution

MEDVEDIC

Honorable
Sep 3, 2015
Can you recommend me some memory that would be compatible with my motherboard? 6GB isn't enough so maybe 3x4GB. I can't seem to find to buy Mushkin RAM anywhere.

Thank you.

MEDVEDIC

Honorable
Sep 3, 2015

Thanks, but I can't find it anywhere. Popular brands around here are Kingston, Crucial, Corsair.

If I buy three of these will that be ok? KINGSTON HYPERX FURY DDR3 4GB 1600MHz CL10

What I mean is this. I buy 3x4GB of aforementioned RAM ( I can only buy them as single sticks ) and I place them in slots 2,4,6. That should work, right? Would they add up to the previous mushkins 3X2GB to a total of 18GB of RAM?

If not I can remove them and place these in slots 1,3,5 and have 12GB of RAM. Is that possible?

Thank you.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Best to get a package of three sticks - no guarantee that mixing sticks from different packages will play together. Also the X58 was designed in the era of low density memory chips, the Fury (and newer models of DRAM are all using high density memory chips), the Fury also operate off PnP which isn't compatible.

MEDVEDIC

Honorable
Sep 3, 2015

Last question here.

Would this be compatible?

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-1600MHz-PC3-12800-Non-ECC-KVR16N11S8/dp/B008CP5QR2/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

I can only buy them as separate sticks.

Thanks.