Ram bus 2133, Mobo bus 1600, CPU bus 1600 .... Possible ?

grimreaper3320

Reputable
Jun 25, 2014
Hello everyone, newbie alert :D

I'm building my new rig as follow :
GA-G1 sniper B5
Intel Core i3-4150 (3.5Ghz)

As for ram i have 3 options :
DDRAM III Kit 8GB - Bus 1600 - G.Skill Ripjaw

DDRAM III Kit 8GB - Bus 2133 - G.Skill Ripjaw

DDRAM III Kit 8GB - Bus 2133 - G.Skill Sniper

I had my eyes on 2133 kits, i know that CPU and Mobo only support 1600 bus, but since the 2133 kits are CHEAPER than 1600 kit so i say why not ? Ok here are the questions :

1/ Basically when i put them in they will be lowered to 1600 but will latency be lowered too ? And would there be any trouble regarding performance ? If there are any then what can i do to fix ?

2/ Which one is better ? Ripjaw or Sniper :D ?

3/ Is PSU Zalman 500 LX good and Haswell ready ?

All of your replies are greatly appreciated.
Thank you very much :)

Solution
Sorry as I did not attend all questions. Here are the answers: -

1. Only the frequency of the RAM of will be lowered not the latency. You'll not feel any performance drop.

2. Already answered. All G.Skill RAMs (Ripjaw X, Trident, Sniper etc) are good enough. Stick with Sniper series here.

3. This PSU is not listed in tiered list of PSUs. I would not recommend this PSU. Better get Seasonic/XFX series PSU and you'll be much better off.

http://www.pc-specs.com/psu/Zalman/Zalman_ZM500-LX/1311
Your mobo GA-G1 Sniper B5 has support for 1600MHz max. Even if you buy 2133MHz RAM, it would operate at 1600MHz. Trident/Sniper series is a good one. Needless to say that RipJawX is not bad at all. All are great options from G.Skill.

Better buy 1600MHz RAM now.

grimreaper3320

Reputable
Jun 25, 2014

Thank you,
I know its always good to use ram that is supported by mobo. But 2133 is cheaper (they are having a promotion) and also i would like to reuse these DDR for future rigs. I'm just wondering when i put them in will latency be lowered ? And would there be any trouble regarding performance ? If there are any then what can i do to fix ?

I was actually thinking of recommending that ram for future use but then the thought of DDR4 stopped me from this recommendation. It is upto you now, if you think you would upgrade to mobo with DDR3 RAM support then buy 2133MHz RAM otherwise save your bucks and buy 1600MHz RAM. If price difference in both RAMs is marginal then go for 2133MHz but it won't benefit you on your current mobo in terms of high speed.

grimreaper3320

Reputable
Jun 25, 2014

As for now there's no news regarding DDR4's appearance. It seems to me that it will take a long way to go for publishing and maybe a longer way to go before it become commercialized. Even if things does go otherwise, a 2133 DDR3 would still be nicer than 1600 because it's cheaper and better. Maybe i can sell it for a high price :p ?

Anyway, thank you for you replies and could you help me with my questions in the first post please :D ?

Sorry as I did not attend all questions. Here are the answers: -

1. Only the frequency of the RAM of will be lowered not the latency. You'll not feel any performance drop.

2. Already answered. All G.Skill RAMs (Ripjaw X, Trident, Sniper etc) are good enough. Stick with Sniper series here.

3. This PSU is not listed in tiered list of PSUs. I would not recommend this PSU. Better get Seasonic/XFX series PSU and you'll be much better off.

http://www.pc-specs.com/psu/Zalman/Zalman_ZM500-LX/1311

Solution

grimreaper3320

Reputable
Jun 25, 2014

Okay so what you are saying is i can STILL run a 2133 ram Gskill, fully functional without any deceasing in performance, with 1600 mobo and CPU by just little tweaks in the BIos ?

Yes, this is what they mean. BIOS tweaking means changing the timings of the RAM.

grimreaper3320

Reputable
Jun 25, 2014

Okay so how can i do this then, as i know there are XMP profiles in BIOS that can make it happen. Should i go with XMP or your solution of changing timing ? Are the two some type of OCing and which one could cause harm to my system ?
Personally i wouldn't mind running at 1600 but if i could run at 2133 then it would be nice.
Any guide on how to do this is greatly appreciated

grimreaper3320

Reputable
Jun 25, 2014

I though you knew, it's GA-G1 sniper B5 :)