Question RAM causing black screen no boot

Jul 22, 2023
Hi, I'm having issues with my HyperX 16GB kit (2x8GB, 1600mhz, DDR3, CL10). Initially the 2 sticks of ram were installed in my PC, out of curiosity, I wanted to know the speed of two other ram sticks I had which were generic 2x 4GB sticks. So I uninstalled the HyperX ram and fitted in the new sticks, I found out they were the same speed. I then took the generic ram sticks out and inserted my HyperX ones in again only this time my PC wouldn't boot. I've never had this issue before as I have taken the dims out multiple times in the past. I tried everything in order for it to work again. I tried each individual stick in both ram slots. I reset the bios by removing the CMOS battery, I even tested the ram in another PC (not sure if it was compatible as it was an old PC). I also unplugged my GPU and other drives.

So I'm left clueless. If anyone has an idea why this is happening Id appreciate the help, cheers.

PC specs:
Dell Vostro 270
Stock power supply
2xHDD
2xSSD
i7 3770
GTX 1050 TI

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I reset the bios by removing the CMOS battery
Disocnnect the system from the wall and display, then remove the CMOS battery, press and hold down the power button to drain any residual power for 30 seconds, then replace the CMOS battery after 30 minutes. Try and power without the discrete GPU in the prebuilt and see if you get POST+display+boot to GUI.

Jul 22, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I reset the bios by removing the CMOS battery
Disocnnect the system from the wall and display, then remove the CMOS battery, press and hold down the power button to drain any residual power for 30 seconds, then replace the CMOS battery after 30 minutes. Try and power without the discrete GPU in the prebuilt and see if you get POST+display+boot to GUI.
I've just tried your method still doesn't seem to work, I'm getting a black screen not even loading into boot UI. I am not getting any beeping noise which you would usually get if there's no ram inserted does that mean there's still a chance the ram works? Thanks