[SOLVED] RAM causing BSOD.

User280705

Reputable
Oct 25, 2019
Hello,
When I built my first pc about 3 years ago, I bought an Intel Core i5-8400 with the Gskill Ripjaws 8gb 2800mhz and the system worked flawlessly. Then 4 months later, I decided to buy another ram stick of the same kind to upgrade it and again, no errors. Up until recently, I got a Ryzen 5 3600 CPU and I inserted the two memory sticks into the new system. It somehow causing BSoD randomly with the memory management error. I downloaded the Thaiphoon Burner software to check and found out that they have different dies on them. Windows Memory Diagnostic and Memtest64 shows no errors at all. Does it mean that I need to change the RAM in my system to a new RAM kit? My budget is pretty tight at the moment so I don't want to spend money on unnecessary components. Thanks in advance.
YrLX5o.png

Solution
Intel is much more tolerant of non matching ram.

Ryzen is very tightly tied to ram for proper operation.
Ryzen also depends on fast ram for best performance.
My suggestion is to replace the ram with a single compatible dual channel matched kit.
If you should ever have a problem, you want supported ram.

One place to check is your motherboards web site.
Look for the ram QVL list. for your processor.
It lists all of the ram kits that have been tested with that particular motherboard.
Sometimes the QVL list is not updated after the motherboard is released.
For more current info, go to a ram vendor's web site and access their ram selection configurator.

Also, check for a motherboard bios update. Often, they address ram compatibility...
Intel is much more tolerant of non matching ram.

Ryzen is very tightly tied to ram for proper operation.
Ryzen also depends on fast ram for best performance.
My suggestion is to replace the ram with a single compatible dual channel matched kit.
If you should ever have a problem, you want supported ram.

One place to check is your motherboards web site.
Look for the ram QVL list. for your processor.
It lists all of the ram kits that have been tested with that particular motherboard.
Sometimes the QVL list is not updated after the motherboard is released.
For more current info, go to a ram vendor's web site and access their ram selection configurator.

Also, check for a motherboard bios update. Often, they address ram compatibility issues.

Solution