[SOLVED] RAM causing desktop to restart instead of booting ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

markfj

Reputable
Dec 7, 2020
Hi Guys

Figured you guys might know as I'm a novice really. Several months ago I installed some new ram, I spoke to the company to make sure I got the right ram and maximum was 32gb (4x8gb) from what was originally 8gb in total

All wise fine for months but in the last week when I turn my desktop on sometimes works fine, but other times is starts for about 2 seconds and then keeps restarting, from what I read it's likely the ram.

I took them all out and put them all back in but that didn't fix the issue, I then took them out and replaced them 1 by 1 and turned desktop on and it worked up until I had the 4th one in again.

Wondered if there's anything simple I should be doing or if I just have some faulty ram?

Thanks 👍

Solution
Either just wasn't seated right or there's dust on the contacts. Use some air in a can to blow out the contacts with the ram out of the slots.

markfj

Reputable
Dec 7, 2020
It's odd. I had the 4th one out and it worked ok, but now I've put it back in and tried my desktop 10 times more it's working ok again. It seems to do that so hard to eliminate the issue when It works fine sometimes and not others

Last edited:

markfj

Reputable
Dec 7, 2020
Thanks, you're probably right about dust, it did seem dusty in there when I first installed the ram. Hopefully that's all it is, thanks for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.