Question RAM causing laptop to crash

seriouslyrobert1

Prominent
Aug 11, 2020
So my N850HK1 Eluktronics has been beeping and turning off and I'm like wtf. I realized that it started happening after I installed more RAM. So I opened it and took out the new ram and it stopped.

What it was doing is: the fan would turn on high, then beep like crazy, then just shut off. I installed control center and cranked up the fan, and it would do it there as well. I took the RAM out and cranked up the fan and played a game, and it didn't do it.

What would cause adding RAM to a computer to do that? The RAM is correct, what the computer takes, so I don't get it. Any ideas would be helpful. I want to be able to add more RAM, but if this is happening, guess I can't?

seriouslyrobert1

Prominent
Aug 11, 2020
This is what happens when you mix RAM modules. Sometimes they won't play well together, even if the specs match up.

The other possibility is the new stick can be a dud. Did you try booting with only the new stick and seeing if it works?

No I didn't try that yet. I was busy so didn't have a chance. Going to try it tomorrow. What can be done to fix this? I bought the computer used and don't want to spend $70 on another 16gb module that matches the new one.

The new stick is reading, I know that. My specs after starting are reading the added RAM.

seriouslyrobert1

Prominent
Aug 11, 2020
This is what happens when you mix RAM modules. Sometimes they won't play well together, even if the specs match up.

The other possibility is the new stick can be a dud. Did you try booting with only the new stick and seeing if it works?

Ok, so I finally ordered another stick to try it out and these are the results:

I ordered another 16gb stick, same as the 8gb, so as to get the same stick and hope they would play nice together. So I put in both of the 16gb sticks first and everything worked fine. I then switched and put the 2 newer ones that were the same brand, and everything worked fine. I put the other 2 together and it did the same thing it was doing....So apparently that is the issue... BUT I noticed when looking at performance specs when launching a game and doing things that when there are multiple sticks paired together that my CPU maxes at 1.68ghz, and wont go over that at all, even though its base speed is 2.8. I then checked with just the new 16gb stick and it then would go up to 3.6ghz. I was thinking originally that it might be a power issue, because it was only happening when plugged in, and now I'm quite sure that even though it's RAM related, that it is somehow power related. To me it seems that if there are multiple sticks installed that my computer is not able to regulate the power well enough.

Please let me know what your ideas are, and if you think something different. I'm moving in a week and won't really be able to do anything much for a while fixing wise. I guess I can just leave it at 16gb with the new stick, that seems to work well, but I was really hoping to have it at 24gb minimum in case I want to have multiple big things open at once.

Anyway, thanks.

TRENDING THREADS