Question Ram causing occasional boot issues

Mar 10, 2021
Hi, I am new to the forum. I have searched to see if my problem has already been addressed but havent found a thread stating the exact same issue so forgive me if I overlooked something.

I bought a refurbished computer

here is my system info

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.19042 Build 19042
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DESKTOP-CRYSTAL
System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
System Model HP Compaq Elite 8300 SFF
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU B9C42AW#ABA
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3201 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Hewlett-Packard K01 v02.05, 5/7/2012
SMBIOS Version 2.7
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode Legacy
BaseBoard Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
BaseBoard Product 3397
BaseBoard Version Not Available
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State Unsupported
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.19041.844"
User Name DESKTOP-CRYSTAL\lseag
Time Zone Central Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 31.9 GB
Available Physical Memory 26.7 GB
Total Virtual Memory 36.9 GB
Available Virtual Memory 31.1 GB
Page File Space 5.00 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection Off
Virtualization-based security Not enabled
Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not Modern Standby, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware No
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

I don't know which of that is important to know so I sent it all.

It came with 8GB of ram. The HP website says it can handle 32GB ram. So I installed 4, brand new sticks of 8GB ram.

At the moment it seems to be working fine. However, after a windows update, it would not boot. the computer would come on but the screen never engaged. after a few minutes the PSU fan starts revving up really fast. So I power it down. There are no beeps. After several failed attempts to start the computer with the same results, I opted to remove the new ram and reinstall the old. It boots up fine. finishes installing the updates. Then I power down, replace the old ram with the new ram and it boots up fine.

This started happening when I attempted to upgrade the graphics card to a GTX 1050i card. Nvidia people told me it would work with my computer fine. When my computer would not boot I pulled hte new card and reinstalled the GT 730. It still would not boot. I returned the new card to the store.Called HP and they said I may have blown my PSU. So I bought a new one and that did not fix the problem. It still turned on but would not boot and then the psu fan would rev up really hard. So I reinstalled the original psu and got a refund on the new one. Then I targeted the new ram. That's when I discovered that if i removed the new ram and reinstalled the old , I could get the system running again with the GT730 graphics card, even though it says it requires 300w and my power supply is only 240w and completely un upgradeable. Then once it is up running, if i reinstall the new ram and reboot, it works fine. Until i get a windows update.

To me this makes no logical sense. If the ram wont work when i initialize a windows update, why would it work later after completing the update with old ram? Am I loosing my mind?