RAM causing rig to freeze?

avo

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009
I've recently put together a new computer only to find that it was randomly freezing at awkward times. It will never seem to freeze when idling or under loads such as playing games or rendering. It seems to be the worst when there are smaller applications in uses such as a web browser. In attempts to fix the issue, I have checked over all software related issues (this includes using a different OS on another HDD and reformatting) and concluded that it is a hardware issue.
The Corsair RAM that i am currently using may be the issue because it will work flawlessly when i remove 6 of 12 GB that I have installed.

My specs are:
Intel Core i7 920 Processor BX80601920
ASUS P6T (non deluxe) Motherboard
(2x) Corsair XMS3 Tri Channel 6GB TR3X6G1600C9 DDR3 Memory (total of 12 GB)
Ultra LSP750 750-Watt Power Supply
Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB Hard Drive
ZOTAC 8600GTS GPU <-- (yes i know it sucks but it is a placeholder and I know it works)
BIOS update 02/09/2009

I'm running windows 7 64bit ATM but i have also tried windows 7 32bit and XP 32bit.

Other info
- I doubt that its the motherboard to RAM compatibility since i bought the 12GB of RAM and Asus mobo in a package together at Tiger Direct.
- All BIOS options are set to auto or default. There has been no overclocking done whatsoever.

PS: Sorry for the terrible English... my knowledge and google translator can only go so far :p .

edit - I forgot to mention that when I have all 12 GB of RAM installed and windows will recognize it. I have also ran a number of mem test that all pointed me to beveling that nothing is wrong.

avo

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009

I finished the test with a pass when using all 12 GB...

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

mmm

i have got a msi pro e and it only recognizes 8 even though i got 12 installed..

this seems like some sort of buffering issue.

set your virtual memory to a different size and come back to us.

Internet explorer in windows 7 64 ( 32bit and 64 bit ) has crashed on mine - i feel flash has issues and as everything runs in flash this aint good.

looks like some sort of memory leak, remove six gb for now and ill give some answers later

avo

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009

Ive tried many different settings with the virtual memory (including no page file) and nothing seemed to change. On regards to that flash issue, it seemed to accelerate the rate of which i crashed at but since I took out half my ram it seems to be going strong in Firefox (32bit browser). I'm assuming that you have similar RAM as me (6 sticks of 2GB) in a Tri Channel setup so take out 3 sticks and see if that helps :p

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

ill have a go, it seems like something is failing when it gets to more ram, maybe a windows patch is needed, i have an nvidia gts250 1gb installed maybe its a driver problem with nvidia..

ill keep you posted when i get time to remove the ram.

just peeved that 4 gb has gone missing..

also

one thing to look at is your processor turbo mode turned on in the bios

try switching it off.

avo

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009

I'm sorry for such a late response but I have been testing many different theories of why this is happening.
I have tried toggling turbo mode, speed step, and hyperthreding and they have all lead to the same result. Another thing that I have tested was a swap in OS. I tried Windows XP x64 and still got that freezing issue.
After searching the deep web for a solution and info about the parts in my build, i have came across a few people the have the same parts down to the brand. the only thing that differs is the GPU but that should not be the issue.

Any additional help would be appreciated.

avo

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009
I would hate to bump this thread but i do need an answer for this. The only additional bit of info that i could use was my RAM timings. They defaulted at something slightly lower than it was qualified for and i had to change it to 9-9-9-24 (the recommended timings). When I did this and tested it with all 12gb of RAM, Windows could only see 8gb and would still freeze.

TRENDING THREADS