Aug 3, 2022
Hi all,

So I have a new build, here are the parts:

Intel Core i5-13600K
Gigabyte B760 DS3H DDR4 (LGA 1700) DDR4 ATX Motherboard
RTX 3070
PSU - 750w Corsair
Ram - Mixture of brands, 2 x 4gb and 2x 8gb. - 24gb Ram

My build works perfectly with the above components however I recently bought some new Ram and wanted to sell the 2x 4gb sticks. The new RAM arrives next week.
However when disconnecting the 2 x 4 gb sticks the PC will not boot, lights on and fans spinning but no display.
I then moved the 2 x 8gb sticks to the other slots and still no boot.
Disconnected one of the 8gb sticks and system boots fine.
Swapped this with the other 8gb stick and boots fine... it seems these sticks will not work together on the mobo, only working if they are joined with the other 2 x4gb. Any idea on what is going on here?

8gb sticks are both kingston, one is Hyperx beast and the other is hyperx.

Cheers all in advance.

Hi all,

So I have a new build, here are the parts:

Intel Core i5-13600K
Gigabyte B760 DS3H DDR4 (LGA 1700) DDR4 ATX Motherboard
RTX 3070
PSU - 750w Corsair
Ram - Mixture of brands, 2 x 4gb and 2x 8gb. - 24gb Ram

My build works perfectly with the above components however I recently bought some new Ram and wanted to sell the 2x 4gb sticks. The new RAM arrives next week.
However when disconnecting the 2 x 4 gb sticks the PC will not boot, lights on and fans spinning but no display.
I then moved the 2 x 8gb sticks to the other slots and still no boot.
Disconnected one of the 8gb sticks and system boots fine.
Swapped this with the other 8gb stick and boots fine... it seems these sticks will not work together on the mobo, only working if they are joined with the other 2 x4gb. Any idea on what is going on here?

8gb sticks are both kingston, one is Hyperx beast and the other is hyperx.

Cheers all in advance.
Hey there,

Yes, you've made the cardinal sin of mixing and matching ram. This is a no-no. The reason being is they are often unlikely to work together with a separate set. Ram supliers will make it clear - Do Not Mix Ram - :)

Try the 2 x 8gb kit by itself. If it boots, test it with memtest86+ outside of Windows to ensure it runs with no errors. If you have errors then the ram could be faulty. Then test one stick at a time. Figure out which one is faulty.
As for the 4gb DIMMs. Where did they come from? 4gb DIMMs are pretty old and hardly seen anymore for DDR4.

Just stick to your 2 x 8gb, get them to work, and save for a future upgrade to a 2 x 16gb kit, to give you 32gbs.

When you populate all 4 slots, this can cause stability issues for the mobo. So getting a 2 x 16gb kit is the way to go. Drop the idea of 24gb, and move on.