RAM changed slots fixed reboot loop, but...

blahcomp222

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2014
Windows 8.1
16 GB RAM (2 sticks vengeance ddr3)
Intel i7-4790K (Not overclocked and won't be)
Motherboard GIGABYTE Z97-HD3 LGA 1150 rev 2.0
GeForce GTX 1050ti not overclocked
PSU: EVGA supernova 650 Watt G2 80 plus Gold.
case: rosewill line glow mid tower atx.

I get blue screen reboots with error messages that indicate a RAM problem but could be many causes also.
blue screen is seldom maybe once every 2.5 months.
I don't deal with 'boot in safe mode' etc 'check in BIOS' etc I'd rather just buy new RAM instead of messing with all that but unsure if RAM is cause.

often I put PC in Sleep and it doesn't Wake up, or it turns off, or it wakes up as though a restart.

Today this happened for first time:
put it in sleep, came back about 30 mins later:
couldn't see mouse cursor on password login page, saw two monitor icons on the bottom left (only have 1 monitor) and one of the monitor icons would slide up the screen and disappear, then I enter my password and get a reboot loop with flashing and pausing screens and partial screen like showing my Start Page but with only some of the Tiles.

I took 1 ram stick out and it works fine. but probably will still have problems awaking from Sleep.
Then I swapped RAM sticks in the slots they originally were in and now I have both 8GB sticks in and it's not doing that login loop problem, so it seems solved but I don't trust it how it is.

should I buy new RAM? what exact brand models will fit? I want 16GB.
Thanks

Last edited:

Can you show screenshots from CPU-Z memory and spd sections ?

Ram stability at current settings may be an issue. You could try altering ram settings in BIOS, ... but since you're saying, you won't touch BIOS, then it probably won't be solution for you.

blahcomp222

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2014
Recently got a ikbc f87 keyboard. Starting about a week ago, when I power on or wake up the PC, sometimes nothing happens, the computer fans turn on (but sometimes not until I replug the keyboard) and have just a black screen and the keyboard isn't lit up as it should be. I unplug keyboard and replug and the keyboard LEDs turn on and windows boots up.

Was running a music production program first time with an audio interface with usb-powered preamp for guitar and didn't have too much going on in there in terms of CPU usage but it crashed the PC twice. not sure if that's because I wasn't using a powered USB hub and drew too much power of if maybe it's the memory.

Last edited:

blahcomp222

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2014
R1kDSd2.jpg

hwP7i6M.jpg

aUXbe0S.jpg

blahcomp222

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2014
bump
still having problems,, not sure if ram. I do plan on doing a full reformat (might even just buy a new SSD if I can't wipe it like a HDD with something like Dban) but not ready to do full reformat, but maybe RAM will solve it anyway. PC getting slower/buggier than I'd like but it's a good build with barely anything installed.

If is the RAM, would like suggestion on compatibility also THANKS!!!!!!!!!

blahcomp222

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2014
yea I'm hesitant to overclock RAM especially if the screenshots don't indicate damage. Yes the computer has slowed down and I don't have much installed nor things running to choke CPU but usually/hopefully a full reformat fixes all this.

Should I instead try and follow error codes when I get the next blue screen about once every 2 months? From what I remember it usually pointed to RAM when I googled them.

As for which driver(s) may be causing it to not wake from sleep mode (sometimes) I have no idea, but am getting issues trying to use this low-end audio interface with a newly installed powered usb HUB (other USB peripherals work fine) so I might upgrade that soon

Also been having a strange boot up issue since upgrading keyboard to an iKBC F87 as mentioned above. And just started using a redragon k552 kumara keyboard and having the same issue having to replug the keyboard in order to show log in screen and boot windows.

TRENDING THREADS