[SOLVED] ram channels

1TED

Reputable
Sep 27, 2019
Maybe this is a Stupid question but just making sure.
so 1 ram stick became faulty (so i removed the 1 stick), so now i guess i am using ram on single channel since there are 3 sticks of 4gb?

so now however (does pick up the 12gb) since then the ram usage has never gotten even near 9gb? should this really be the case, or did randomly windows etc update to be less ram dependent?

Solution
so 1 ram stick became faulty (so i removed the 1 stick), so now i guess i am using ram on single channel since there are 3 sticks of 4gb?

so now however (does pick up the 12gb) since then the ram usage has never gotten even near 9gb? should this really be the case, or did randomly windows etc update to be less ram dependent?
I think you will be in single channel. AMD was always less flexible than Intel and looking at the documentation, I think Intel will run single.
Here is Intel's documentation -- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005657/boards-and-kits.html

kanewolf

Titan

I think you will be in single channel. AMD was always less flexible than Intel and looking at the documentation, I think Intel will run single.
Here is Intel's documentation -- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005657/boards-and-kits.html

Solution
If you are using 3 sticks on a dual-channel system, it will go to single channel mode. With regards to RAM consumption, I feel like Windows does seem to scale memory allocation accordingly. It's not by much, though, but it's enough that even though I'm using 9GB on one system, more or less the same usage doesn't kill an 8GB RAM equipped system.

TRENDING THREADS