RAM choice for new ryzen 2700x build

Aug 29, 2018
Hello

im building a new computer and am looking to get RAM. the build so far is a ryzen 7 2700x with a gigabyte x470 aorus ultra gaming motherboard. ive read that ryzen has some memory compatibility issues but beyond that im not sure what the specifics are. I checked the AMD ram compatibility list and these are not on but that does that these will definitely not work? the list only has about a 10 or so 3200 ddr4 kits showing yet there are dozens and dozens of kits online to buy....so im not sure if i MUST only buy from that list or what. this is new to me as previously ive just bought whatever ram was good at the time and not checked/worried about compatibility.

im looking to get either:

G.skill F4-3200C16D-16GTZR (ddr4 3200 with 16-18-18-38 timings)
or
G.skil F4-3600C18D-16GTZRX (ddr4 3600 with 18-22-22-42 timings)

additionally, assuming both of these kits would work, im not sure which would be the better buy. this falls into the "faster speed but slower timings" vs "slower speed but tighter timings" comparison, and from what ive read ryzen seems to really benefit from faster ram but i dont know enough about memory specs to tell which is better here.

any help is greatly appreciated. the computer will mostly be used for compute intensive stuff (folding at home, etc) and office applications.

Solution
Stick with the DDR4 3200. The DDR4 3600 may not run at that speed as most boards have only upped their compatibility to DDR4 3466.

Most Ryzen memory compatibility issues are gone, that was a first release first gen problem. This ram should work fine.
Look at G.skill page:

https://www.gskill.com/en/configurator?manu=54&chip=3396&model=3410

Indeed the Ryzen love high speeds of DDR4, but that means that you have to avoid for example the 2133. From 3000 the differences are very small and 3200 is totally OK. It is possible that 3600 is not supported since G.Skill does not present it as compatible. On the other hand the 3200 if that appears.

In any case the difference between the two would be very small and I would not hesitate to buy the one certified by G skill.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Stick with the DDR4 3200. The DDR4 3600 may not run at that speed as most boards have only upped their compatibility to DDR4 3466.

Most Ryzen memory compatibility issues are gone, that was a first release first gen problem. This ram should work fine.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS