Question ram choice

Apr 11, 2019
hello,

i got 8gb ram 2400mhz. is there a difference between 3000mhz and 2400mhz and should i change it if there is?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ram will run at the slowest speed. So if you mix a 3200 with a 2400, both will run at 2400.

To be honest, mixing ram that came from 2 different kits is never a good idea. Even if the ram is exactly identical vendor, model, speed, color etc. You only see the primary timings, the 15-16-15-39 etc, what you don't see is the 40+ secondary and tertiary timings. All it takes is one to be slightly off, and the whole thing either requires voltage bumps, loosening timings even dropping speeds to get both sticks to play nice. Sometimes even all that doesn't work and both won't work at all together. So it's always advised to buy all the ram in a single kit, a single package, not seperates, as ram is tested by the factory and have certified the ram works.

If you want 2x8Gb, you should sell the 1x8Gb you own, and buy a 2x8Gb kit in 2400/2666 or whatever you like.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Nah, any 200 series can run 2400, the only restriction being with non-z 100 series. With a K cpu, his bios will allow xmp upto 2400 even if default on skylake MC is 2133MHz. On the Z boards, it'll depend on the board as to what's recognized above 2133MHz.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Nah, any 200 series can run 2400, the only restriction being with non-z 100 series.
It may vary, but for at least some non Z boards you need a 7th gen CPU to run 2400, otherwise you're limited to 2133. I'm inclined to believe that's the case for all non-Z 100/200 series boards.

E.g. https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/H270-GAMING-M3/Specification

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You might be right. Never actually run into this exact situation. Usually ram speeds are dictated by the cpu, skylake is 2133 and kabylake is 2400 default. But thats default, xmp/manual oc will change that upto the board allowed speeds and ram speed. The board will recognise 2400 or 2133.
* To support 2400 MHz or XMP memory, you must install a 7th generation processor.
That would make sense on a non-K, but a Kcpu can support higher speeds in the mc.

Not sure. Kinda perplexing.