RAM choices for threadripper

Jan 19, 2019
I'm building a new system with threadripper 1920X.
I want to get 32GB 4x8GB 3200HZ CL14.

Unfortunately, right now in Australia I have only 2 options due to stock availability.

1. 2x8GB G.Skill Flare X F4-3200C14D-16GFX
2. 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB CL14 32GTZR

The Flare X is designed for AMD but only available in 2x8GB kits. The Trident Z RGB is not the AMD version and is not on the x399 Taichi's QVL. Which option has lower risk? Or should I go with CL16 which cost 200AUD less? Other recommendations also welcome.

Solution
The Flare kit is lower risk, designed for AMD. Is on the QVL list. Just get two kits if it. A lower Cas latency is nice but it can raise the price a lot.

If you want lower cas, buy the Cas16 and lower it yourself, or just run it and see how it does.

InfoSponge16

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016
The Flare kit is lower risk, designed for AMD. Is on the QVL list. Just get two kits if it. A lower Cas latency is nice but it can raise the price a lot.

If you want lower cas, buy the Cas16 and lower it yourself, or just run it and see how it does.

Solution
D

Deleted member 217926

^ I have to disagree with most of that posted above.

If you want to run 4 x 8GB you want to buy it all in a matched kit. This is especially true with AMD as it's much more picky with RAM than Intel. Especially trying to get 4 sticks to work.

You didn't list it but if the TridentZ is 3200/14 that almost guarantees it's made with Samsung B-die ICs and that means it will work at full speed on an AMD platform.

You never want to buy separate kits and try to match them. While it's unlikely with the kits you listed it is always possible that different kits of the same model will be made with different ICs and the sub timings won't match.

Also you NEVER want to buy RAM for Ryzen expecting to overclock it.

InfoSponge16

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016
Anort3, it is a good idea to buy a quad kit if you can.

Sometimes you can't. I was following Ryzen closely during the launch of the first gen.

I am aware of the previous picky tendency of the early Agesa code with the AM4 platform. With the early code, the boards worked best with memory that had Samsung chips that were B die.

That is the reason why the Flare X kit was certified by AMD to work. They use Samsung B die chips.

Also, he lists part numbers for the memory he wanted, if you disregard everything in the part number except for the CAS and the model such as Flare X, then you can end up with mismatched chips.

If you use the whole part number, and verify that someone doesn't substitute a different part number to replace a specific kit, you will be fine.

D

Deleted member 217926

This list is quite old and outdated but there's plenty of FlareX optimized for Ryzen ( GFX suffix ) that's not B-die. You can't assume anything.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/62vp2g/clearing_up_any_samsung_bdie_confusion_eg_on/

If you use the whole part number, and verify that someone doesn't substitute a different part number to replace a specific kit, you will be fine.

Unless you know of a more comprehensive IC list than that the only way to know for sure what you have is to run Thaiphoon burner or similar once the RAM is installed. OP specifically asked for the lowest risk option.