[SOLVED] Ram Clock Speed limited by Motherboard Chipset?

ManOfArc

Honorable
Jul 8, 2017
My friend has an Asus B365M Pro4 motherboard and Gskill DDR4 3000 RAM. But his board won't allow the RAM to run at its rated speed. It tops out at 2666 and has no XMP option. I suggested to him that it was the limitation of the board or its chipset. Am I right? Or is there some way to get the RAM up to its rated speed of 3000?

My friend has an Asus B365M Pro4 motherboard and Gskill DDR4 3000 RAM. But his board won't allow the RAM to run at its rated speed. It tops out at 2666 and has no XMP option. I suggested to him that it was the limitation of the board or its chipset. Am I right? Or is there some way to get the RAM up to its rated speed of 3000?
Chipset has nothing to do with it but 300 series MBs have problem with memory topology and to some extent with 1st gen Ryzen.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Chipset is not locked or could be locked. Memory controller is in the CPU not in chipset. Only OC options in BIOS could be locked. That has nothing to do with chipset.

You could take a 9900K and put it on a B365 motherboard. The CPU can support >2666MHz, but you won't be able to run >2666MHz because the chipset does not. Therefore, it has everything to do with the chipset.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador

It's a chipset limitation. And unlike AMD or Intel Z boards, you can no longer dive into the bios and manually tweak timings etc on B/H mobo's. They pretty much unanimously relegated B/H to plug-n-play but here's a ton of bells and whistles you'll not ever use, leaving the Z boards as the only tweak-n-play options.

Only tweaks now will be through motherboard software such as MSI Command Center etc, and even that will be squished by chipset limits.

Reactions: Barty1884